Mar 29, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
There’s no official word yet on who the Brewers will bump from the starting rotation to make room for Kyle Lohse, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that it’s expected to be right-hander Mike Fiers.
That speaks pretty highly of the Brewers’ rotation depth because Fiers was damn good as a 27-year-old rookie last season, starting 22 games with a 3.74 ERA and 135/36 K/BB ratio in 128 innings. On a lot of teams that would make him one of the top 2-3 starters, but on the Brewers it likely means a trip to the bullpen to make room a guy who wasn’t even signed a week ago.
Milwaukee will apparently turn to 23-year-old prospect Wily Peralta to fill out the rotation behind Yovani Gallardo, Lohse, Marco Estrada, and Chris Narveson. He mostly struggled at Triple-A last season, but Peralta pitched well in a 29-inning Brewers debut and rates as the 69th-best prospect in MLB by Baseball America.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (141)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)