Mike Fiers expected to lose rotation spot to Kyle Lohse

Mar 29, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

There’s no official word yet on who the Brewers will bump from the starting rotation to make room for Kyle Lohse, but Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that it’s expected to be right-hander Mike Fiers.

That speaks pretty highly of the Brewers’ rotation depth because Fiers was damn good as a 27-year-old rookie last season, starting 22 games with a 3.74 ERA and 135/36 K/BB ratio in 128 innings. On a lot of teams that would make him one of the top 2-3 starters, but on the Brewers it likely means a trip to the bullpen to make room a guy who wasn’t even signed a week ago.

Milwaukee will apparently turn to 23-year-old prospect Wily Peralta to fill out the rotation behind Yovani Gallardo, Lohse, Marco Estrada, and Chris Narveson. He mostly struggled at Triple-A last season, but Peralta pitched well in a 29-inning Brewers debut and rates as the 69th-best prospect in MLB by Baseball America.

1. unclemosesgreen - Mar 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Tough one for Mike Fiers – he may be better than Lohse, Estrada and Narveson. He may just be better suited to the bullpen – or it could just be his turn – Estrada certainly did his swingman apprencticeship.

• professormaddog31 - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM

With the Crew’s luck, Estrada or Narveson will go down again with some inflammation or a bone chip or something and they’ll fold Fiers back into the rotation.

I’m guessing he’ll make it back to the starting position around mid-June.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

That’s why there’s no such thing as too much pitching, for sure.

2. kollin7 - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Really tough luck for a guy who was flat-out dominant, until he ran into fatigue in August.

3. Darkoestrada - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Wow I thought for sure it would be narveson that got bumped. I’d be surprised if those 2 don’t change jobs at some point in the year

• kollin7 - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Narveson would be the obvious man out, if it weren’t for the fact that he’s the only lefty.

4. professormaddog31 - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

This is terrible news. Fiers was a real bright spot for the Brewers last year. As much as I like Narvs, I don’t think you can say that he’s that much better than Mike is. Personally I’d take my chances with Wily P. doing middle relief and have Fiers be my fourth, Narvs my fifth. Wily’s fine but I still think he has overall stamina issues. I think he’s suited more to relief work.

5. shaggytoodle - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Fiers reminds me a little bit of the older guys, like Suppan and Wolf as far as arms go.

They don’t have that blow it by fastball, so command becomes super important.

The thing about Narverson is he is the only LH pitcher in the rotation so I think the crew will want to keep him in.

6. Mark - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I can understand Peralta and maybe even Estrada getting the job over Fiers, but Narveson? We’re talking about a guy who in his last 2 full seasons has a 4.45 and 4.99 ERA. He’s certainly not young, and he’s not some unknown quantity here. He’s an awful pitcher.

Fiers is so much more deserving of a rotation spot over Narveson that it’s not even funny. I’m not a Brewers fan but that’s a pretty awful move if it’s true.

7. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I like Fiers and hope he ends up back in the rotation. Fact is though of the 3 guys fighting for the last 2 spots in the rotation nobody’s got very good numbers this spring.

8. shawnuel - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Narveson as the only lefty makes sense but Peralta seems like the logical one to move down. Estrada is legit, I think. That K/BB rate is a thing of beauty.

9. Darkoestrada - Mar 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I hate the reasoning that narveson needs to be in the rotation just because he’s the only lefty. Starters have the biggest impact on the game of any position. You should go with your 5 best. Being a lefty means nothing when you’re a sub par major league pitcher.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3978)