Mar 29, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Last year the Rays had a lot of success shifting Wade Davis from the rotation to the bullpen, as he went from a mediocre starter to a very good reliever (and then they traded him to the Royals).
This year they’re making the same shift with Jeff Niemann, moving him to the bullpen in an effort to ease his comeback from an injury wrecked 2012 that has left his spring velocity lacking. In his place the Rays have chosen Roberto Hernandez (formerly known as Fausto Carmona) for the final spot in the rotation.
Tampa Bay also has some good young starting pitching waiting in the wings, led by Chris Archer, so Hernandez’s tryout may not be particularly long if he struggles right away. Niemann re-entering the rotation is also a possibility, although with a 4.06 ERA and just 6.7 strikeouts per nine innings in 92 career starts through at age 30 he’s similar to Davis in that his value as a starter hasn’t been huge.
Hernandez missed nearly all of last season after being popped in the Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity and then injured his ankle once he rejoined the Indians, and he’s posted an ERA under 5.00 just once since 2008. Tampa Bay has worked miracles on seemingly washed up pitchers before, though, and if nothing else Hernandez is a ground-ball machine.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)