Mar 29, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
If this was reported at the time of the signing I missed it, but Matt Gelb of the Philly Inquirer writes something fairly shocking today. The basis on which Ruben Amaro decided to sign Delmon Young:
To evaluate [Young], the Phillies relied on seven-year-old scouting reports from the outfielder’s days as a Tampa Bay farmhand. Two of Amaro’s assistants, Scott Proefrock and Bart Braun, were members of the Rays organization when Young was selected first overall in the 2003 draft. They vouched for Young’s ability.
I know it was a small contract, but wow. That can’t have been all of it, right? This had to be a situation in which they looked at his production in Detroit and then just completed a loop with some first-hand info on Young from the old Rays people, didn’t it? Delmon Young seven years ago is probably about as different from Delmon Young today than Delmon Young seven years ago is as different from a can of lima beans.
All that said, that’s just an anecdote the leaps into a larger story about how the Phillies use advanced metrics. The upshot: more scouting than sabermetrics. Interesting stuff, and a nice companion piece to yesterday’s stuff about the Washington Nationals.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)