Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Major League Baseball just announced that MLB Productions Film and Production archives — and new videos too — are going up on iTunes. Included in the archives: the first season of “This Week in Baseball” from 1977.
To celebrate it, MLB has put the opening sequence of TWiB from 1977 online. And it’s … glorious.
Takeaways: how skinny Eddie Murray was. How much foul territory there was in a lot of those old parks. How crappy the groundskeeping was then compared to now. It’s a different game in so many ways today yet, because everything in baseball changes incrementally rather than quickly, that we rarely notice these changes as they’re happening.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)