Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that MLB Productions Film and Production archives — and new videos too — are going up on iTunes. Included in the archives: the first season of “This Week in Baseball” from 1977.
To celebrate it, MLB has put the opening sequence of TWiB from 1977 online. And it’s … glorious.
Takeaways: how skinny Eddie Murray was. How much foul territory there was in a lot of those old parks. How crappy the groundskeeping was then compared to now. It’s a different game in so many ways today yet, because everything in baseball changes incrementally rather than quickly, that we rarely notice these changes as they’re happening.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29