Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Major League Baseball just announced that MLB Productions Film and Production archives — and new videos too — are going up on iTunes. Included in the archives: the first season of “This Week in Baseball” from 1977.
To celebrate it, MLB has put the opening sequence of TWiB from 1977 online. And it’s … glorious.
Takeaways: how skinny Eddie Murray was. How much foul territory there was in a lot of those old parks. How crappy the groundskeeping was then compared to now. It’s a different game in so many ways today yet, because everything in baseball changes incrementally rather than quickly, that we rarely notice these changes as they’re happening.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)