Mar 29, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Major League Baseball just announced that MLB Productions Film and Production archives — and new videos too — are going up on iTunes. Included in the archives: the first season of “This Week in Baseball” from 1977.
To celebrate it, MLB has put the opening sequence of TWiB from 1977 online. And it’s … glorious.
Takeaways: how skinny Eddie Murray was. How much foul territory there was in a lot of those old parks. How crappy the groundskeeping was then compared to now. It’s a different game in so many ways today yet, because everything in baseball changes incrementally rather than quickly, that we rarely notice these changes as they’re happening.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 10
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 50
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 34
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)