Mar 30, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
The Yankees thought it was best for Alex Rodriguez to rehab from hip surgery away from the team’s complex in Tampa this spring, but general manager Brian Cashman confirmed this afternoon that he will be with the team on Opening Day on Monday against the Red Sox. Just maybe not in uniform. Or where anybody can see him.
Rodriguez was booed lustily for his poor performance during the postseason and the reception doesn’t figure to be any warmer following his reported ties to PEDs and Biogenesis. While it would be fascinating to watch, it might not be worth the drama to have him out there on what should otherwise be a pretty happy day at the ballpark.
Rodriguez, 37, underwent hip surgery in January and is still aiming to return around midseason. The Yankees owe him $114 million over the next five seasons. He’s making $29 million in 2013, which is more than the entire Astros payroll.
May 4, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
0-4 with a 6.29 ERA.
May 4, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Milwaukee now has the guy who had easily the best batting stance of any current manager.
May 4, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Nearly a month ago Hardy was said to be “close” to starting a rehab stint.
May 4, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Seven errors in 21 games.
May 4, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He says “it’s family business” and that “the old A-Rod is gone.”
May 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
This is getting ridiculous.
May 4, 2015, 9:49 AM EDT
This is the shortest post in the history of HBT.
May 4, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
And noting how the Yankees can and do sell everything that isn’t nailed down but somehow can’t figure out how to market home run number 660.
May 4, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
“I got it”
May 4, 2015, 7:24 AM EDT
Some late-inning heroics. Extra-innings heroics, actually. Like baseball is some kind of gosh darned after hours club or something.
May 4, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
The Brewers acted quickly to find a new manager after firing Ron Roenicke on Sunday night.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 PM EDT
The Dodgers acquired first baseman Andy Wilkins from the Blue Jays and designated Scott Baker for assignment on Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:35 PM EDT
The Padres are expected to promote catching prospect Austin Hedges on Monday.
May 3, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The Athletics released Cody Ross on Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Ron Roenicke is the first casualty of the Brewers’ poor start to the season.
May 3, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Would Joe Mauer better serve the Twins in the leadoff spot?
May 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
White Sox manager Robin Ventura has taken some heat for the team’s slow start, but first baseman Jose Abreu stuck up for him.
May 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Jean Segura was hit in the head by a pitch attempting to bunt. Thankfully, he appears to be okay.
May 3, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
The Cardinals won again in walk-off fashion and now own baseball’s best record.
May 3, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Astros keep on winning.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 60
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 23
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 53
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (132)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)