Mar 30, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
23-year-old lefty Patrick Corbin has earned the fifth spot in the Diamondbacks’ starting rotation, reports Steve Gilbert on Twitter. His first start still has not been scheduled yet — he could pitch Saturday in Milwaukee, or flip him with Wade Miley, giving him the Friday start in the series opener.
Corbin had been battling Randall Delgado, acquired from the Braves in the Justin Upton trade, for the spot. Corbin’s 2.81 ERA in 25.2 spring innings pushed him ahead compared to Delgado’s 7.45 ERA in 19.1 innings. Delgado will report to Triple-A Reno and will likely be the first to be called if the D-Backs need rotation help.
In his first taste of big league action last year, Corbin posted a 4.54 ERA in 107 innings and many feel his ERA did not speak to his actual performance.
As you might expect, Corbin was happy with the news:
Glad to be a part of the #Dbacks and this rotation. Couldn’t be happier to be with such a great group of guys. Excited for this season!!!
— Patrick Corbin (@PatrickCorbin11) March 30, 2013
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)