Mar 30, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
David Ortiz will begin the season on the disabled list as he works his way back from pain in both of his heels, but he’s inching closer to returning to game action.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox manager John Farrell said today that Ortiz will travel with the team to New York to continue his rehab before returning to Fort Myers for the week of April 8. The hope is that he’ll make enough progress by then to be ready to take live batting practice or play in minor league games.
Ortiz’s running program remains a work in progress, as he’s currently limited to straight-ahead running and agility drills. He’ll need to start making cuts and running the bases before being cleared for an official minor league rehab assignment.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)