Mar 30, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
David Ortiz will begin the season on the disabled list as he works his way back from pain in both of his heels, but he’s inching closer to returning to game action.
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Red Sox manager John Farrell said today that Ortiz will travel with the team to New York to continue his rehab before returning to Fort Myers for the week of April 8. The hope is that he’ll make enough progress by then to be ready to take live batting practice or play in minor league games.
Ortiz’s running program remains a work in progress, as he’s currently limited to straight-ahead running and agility drills. He’ll need to start making cuts and running the bases before being cleared for an official minor league rehab assignment.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)