Former Yankee, Oriole Bob Turley dies at 82

Mar 30, 2013, 8:40 PM EDT

turley

Some sad news via the Baltimore Sun: pitcher Bob Turley, who played in the Majors between 1951-63, died of liver cancer at the age of 82.

He won the Orioles’ first home game in 1954 and took home the 1958 Cy Young award with a 21-7 record and 2.97 ERA, beating out Warren Spahn, Lew Burdette, and Bob Friend.

Turley was a three-time All-Star, spending eight of his 12 big league seasons with the Yankees. He finished his career with 101 wins and a 3.64 ERA.

1. mybrunoblog - Mar 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM

RIP Bob.
    Story didn’t mention it but he was also known as “Bullet Bob Turley”

2. UgglasForearms - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Nice career. Worked hard for the teams he was on. Respected by his team mates.

3. uyf1950 - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM

“Bullet” Bob Turley RIP – I saw him pitch, he struck fear in the hearts of batter. His eyesight was terrible and his fastball deadly.

• historiophiliac - Mar 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Any HBPiD’s?

• abaird2012 - Mar 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

That’s cold.

• historiophiliac - Mar 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I was just wondering if he was the Original Dickslayer. (See bad eyesight and deadly fastball above.)

• Old Gator - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Nope, that was Ryne Duren. The lenses of his glasses were so thick that when you looked at him from the batter’s box his head appeared to be the size of a marble.

4. Old Gator - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

I saw him pitch as a kid. I just don’t remember if he was pitching for or against the Borg at the time. It’s a name that I associate with my childhood introduction to baseball under the tutelage of my paternal grandfather, who was a rabid Borg fan and used to read me stories in Yiddish out of the Forvitz sports section, translating for me into his limited and thickly Romanian accented English as he went along. “Turley” came up periodically. The name always stuck. Sad to see another phantom from the Golden Age shuffle off the mortal coil.

5. mungman69 - Mar 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Bob Turley, Ryne Duran, God I’m getting old.

6. badintent - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:57 AM

RIP. I went to school with his kid at Rollins College. Nice guy, very serious but had a level head, didn’t talk about his dad’s career.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto