Mar 30, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
We learned on Thursday that Johan Santana is dealing with a “probable re-tear” of the anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder and is likely facing another surgery. Santana needed 19 months to make it back to the majors following the first surgery, so there has been some speculation about whether he wants to go through another one. While he hasn’t made a final decision yet, early indications are that he isn’t ready to give up on his playing career.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, a person who spoke to Santana said that the left-hander is leaning heavily toward having the surgery and making a comeback.
“He’s not ready to end his career,” the person said. “This is not the way he wants it to end.”
Santana is in New York this weekend and isn’t expected to a decision on his future until he discusses the situation with his family. However, Santana’s agent, Chris Leible, indicated on Twitter last night that his client wants to pitch again.
A two-time Cy Young Award winner, Santana owns a 3.20 ERA over 12 seasons in the major leagues. The 34-year-old has led the league in ERA and strikeouts three times.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)