Mar 30, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
We learned on Thursday that Johan Santana is dealing with a “probable re-tear” of the anterior capsule muscle in his left shoulder and is likely facing another surgery. Santana needed 19 months to make it back to the majors following the first surgery, so there has been some speculation about whether he wants to go through another one. While he hasn’t made a final decision yet, early indications are that he isn’t ready to give up on his playing career.
According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, a person who spoke to Santana said that the left-hander is leaning heavily toward having the surgery and making a comeback.
“He’s not ready to end his career,” the person said. “This is not the way he wants it to end.”
Santana is in New York this weekend and isn’t expected to a decision on his future until he discusses the situation with his family. However, Santana’s agent, Chris Leible, indicated on Twitter last night that his client wants to pitch again.
A two-time Cy Young Award winner, Santana owns a 3.20 ERA over 12 seasons in the major leagues. The 34-year-old has led the league in ERA and strikeouts three times.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)