Mar 30, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
The Mets just announced that Johan Santana will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair the new tear in the anterior capsule of his left shoulder. This will effectively end his season and his tenure with the Mets.
The new tear in the shoulder was found following an MRI earlier this week. Santana took a couple of days before deciding on surgery, but his agent, Chris Leible, indicated on Twitter last night that his client isn’t ready to give up on his career.
Santana previously had capsule surgery in September of 2010 and didn’t make it back to the majors until Opening Day of last season. But he’s prepared for the long road ahead.
Santana has been a joy to watch compete over the years, so it’s disappointing that he won’t be on a major league mound this season, but here’s hoping that he gets the opportunity to leave the game on his own terms.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 12
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 11
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)