Mar 30, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
Jonny Venters, dealing with a sore left elbow, will see Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday. Though it’s never a good sign when your pitcher has to stop by Andrews’ office, the Braves aren’t worried yet. Via David O’Brien:
The Braves are cautiously optimistic about their lefty setup man, but didn’t want to speculate much about the injury.
“It seems like a sprain of some sort, or strain,” Braves general manager Frank Wren said. “We’ll let Jim Andrews tell us what his findings are once he sees him. Until Jim sees him, we just won’t know.”
Over the last three seasons, Venters has established himself as one of the best lefty relievers in the game, posting an aggregate 2.23 ERA in 230 innings. Though losing Venters hurts, the Braves still have two other lefties in the bullpen in Eric O’Flaherty and Luis Avilan.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)