Mar 30, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Jonny Venters, dealing with a sore left elbow, will see Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday. Though it’s never a good sign when your pitcher has to stop by Andrews’ office, the Braves aren’t worried yet. Via David O’Brien:
The Braves are cautiously optimistic about their lefty setup man, but didn’t want to speculate much about the injury.
“It seems like a sprain of some sort, or strain,” Braves general manager Frank Wren said. “We’ll let Jim Andrews tell us what his findings are once he sees him. Until Jim sees him, we just won’t know.”
Over the last three seasons, Venters has established himself as one of the best lefty relievers in the game, posting an aggregate 2.23 ERA in 230 innings. Though losing Venters hurts, the Braves still have two other lefties in the bullpen in Eric O’Flaherty and Luis Avilan.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)