Mar 30, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
UPDATE: Marc Topkin of the Tampa Times reports that Scott has been placed on the disabled list. He could miss as much as five weeks.
3:20 PM: Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune reports that Scott received a cortisone shot in his calf and hopes to be return by April 8. In other words, he will begin the season on the disabled list.
11:01 AM: Luke Scott was sent for an MRI yesterday after he was forced to leave a minor league game due to continued soreness in his right calf. According to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times, Scott was diagnosed with a calf strain, which means that he will almost certainly begin the season on the disabled list.
The symptoms first popped up on Monday, but it wasn’t a major concern initially. Scott could be looking at an extended absence following his setback, though the Rays will likely know more once he sees the team doctor later today.
Assuming Scott begins the season on the disabled list, Brandon Guyer, Stephen Vogt or Chris Gimenez are the most likely options to replace him on the Opening Day roster. Shelley Duncan and Leslie Anderson are also possibilities, but the Rays would have to make room on the 40-man roster.
Scott, 34, batted .229/.285/.439 with 14 home runs, 55 RBI and a .724 OPS in 96 games last season. After declining his $6 million club option, the Rays brought him back this winter on a one-year, $2.75 million deal.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 14
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)