Mar 30, 2013, 9:29 AM EST
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that Aardsma “didn’t really fit” with the team’s bullpen, as they wanted someone who could provide multiple innings at a time. Kelley threw more than one inning in 12 of his 47 appearances with the Mariners last season.
Aardsma has only pitched in one game in the majors over the past two seasons following a hip injury and Tommy John surgery, but he had a 3.52 ERA and 7/2 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 innings this spring and finally appears to be healthy. The 31-year-old right-hander posted a 2.90 ERA and 69 saves with the Mariners from 2009-2010, so someone figures to take a chance on him. He’s set to make $500,000 in 2013.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)