Watch a mustachioed Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee shoot hot dogs from a cannon

Mar 30, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT

hamels

I watched it as it happened last night, and I still can’t believe my eyes. Three things are wonderful about the video below: 1) Cole Hamels has a glorious mustache; 2) Hamels and Cliff Lee are teaming up for some fan entertainment; and 3) that entertainment involves shooting hot dogs out of a pneumatic cannon.

Hamels had grown a perfectly-manicured beard which he maintained throughout spring training in Clearwater, but kept only the mustache as the team traveled north to Philadelphia to prepare for the regular season.

Click the picture below to check out the video.

Talking to the media about his decision to get involved with Hamels in the hot dog bonanza, Lee said, “I wanted to get close to that action, see what it was all about. Help Cole launch some hot dogs in the stands, it was pretty neat.” Lee then called Hamels’ mustache “a big-league mustache”.

1. UgglasForearms - Mar 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Gives new meaning to the phrase “Hot dogging it”

2. Francisco (FC) - Mar 30, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Hamels has a nice ‘stache! Almost makes up for losing Keith’s. Signs of vintage Schmidt in that stache too.

3. historiophiliac - Mar 30, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I can honestly say that I understand mustaches so much better since I started coming to this site.

• cur68 - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Its been a good ride for you then?

• historiophiliac - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

That’s dirty, right?

• cur68 - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Why, whatever do you mean?
        /adjusts monocle. Looks innocent.

• historiophiliac - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Bad beaver. Bad.

4. mrfloydpink - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM

The Freudian overtones of that video clip are just mind-boggling.

• historiophiliac - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Sometimes a pneumatic tube is just a hot dog shooter.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Tell that to the big-nosed freak who’s frotting with Cole Hamels.

5. jpash42 - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Cole looks like the W.B Mason guy. Great stash. Free and easy clubhouse, lets go Phitins!

6. misterchainbluelightning - Mar 30, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I refuse to watch MLB video, no thanks on a 15 second commercial just to watch a 30 second clip, stop linking their garbage.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Mar 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

GET OFF MY LAWN

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

See I’d think the old man doesn’t know any better is and used to waiting, while the internet generation can’t tolerate a 15 second delay in anything. If a webpage takes more than 2 seconds to load your computer sucks types. I remember it taking 5-6 seconds to load a page, oh the horror and pain it was, but ya damn MLB.com inserting commercials after years of just providing clips on their own.

• DonkeyStick - Mar 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

really??? that’s so interesting! can you please, please, please tell us more about your views and past experiences of computer usage? it would mean so much to all the readers to hear how you used to wait 5 seconds to load a page!!!

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Yes because the average comment made in places like this a pure gems and full of insightful information. You poor lil thing being forced like Alex to read the text on the screen against your will. Typed text upsets you huh? I bet you’re the type of that get upset AT CAPS BECAUSE SOMEHOW LARGER FONT IS TROUBLING ISN’T IT?

Crawl back in your hole guy who doesn’t decide what is worthy of posting in a comment section.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

And oh ya, LOL @ some tool getting uppity about the comments made in a blog about shooting hot dogs into a crowd.

• DonkeyStick - Mar 31, 2013 at 10:05 AM

No I’m serious….please tell us more about you. That’s whay I come to these sites, to see how your past experiences of waiting on computers. Please tell us more!

• NJgriffNC - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If you use Google Chrome, you should download a free extension called AdBlock. It takes seconds to download and you won’t have to deal with any more video ads on MLB.com or anywhere else.

• misterchainbluelightning - Mar 31, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I do and I just downloaded it, thanks much

• historiophiliac - Mar 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I’m always dismayed when I’m on this site at work b/c of the flashing/scrolling/annoying ads I see there. I’m used to the quiet at home. Thank you, Adblock. (even if you do give Hulu fits)

7. thebadguyswon - Mar 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM

How long until the username “Hamelsstache” is registered?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)