Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The A’s made their final round of roster moves on Saturday night, optioning lefty Pedro Figueroa and infielder Andy Parrino to Triple-A Sacramento and placing new shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Nakajima suffered the strain Tuesday in the 10th inning of a Cactus League game against the Indians. He wound up batting .167/.286/.190 with one extra-base hit (a double) in 49 spring plate appearances.
The A’s will use Jed Lowrie as their primary shortstop in the early going this season.
Nakajima, 30, signed a two-year, $6.5 million free agent contract with Oakland in December.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)