Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
The A’s made their final round of roster moves on Saturday night, optioning lefty Pedro Figueroa and infielder Andy Parrino to Triple-A Sacramento and placing new shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Nakajima suffered the strain Tuesday in the 10th inning of a Cactus League game against the Indians. He wound up batting .167/.286/.190 with one extra-base hit (a double) in 49 spring plate appearances.
The A’s will use Jed Lowrie as their primary shortstop in the early going this season.
Nakajima, 30, signed a two-year, $6.5 million free agent contract with Oakland in December.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (308)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)