Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The A’s made their final round of roster moves on Saturday night, optioning lefty Pedro Figueroa and infielder Andy Parrino to Triple-A Sacramento and placing new shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Nakajima suffered the strain Tuesday in the 10th inning of a Cactus League game against the Indians. He wound up batting .167/.286/.190 with one extra-base hit (a double) in 49 spring plate appearances.
The A’s will use Jed Lowrie as their primary shortstop in the early going this season.
Nakajima, 30, signed a two-year, $6.5 million free agent contract with Oakland in December.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 64
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)