Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The A’s made their final round of roster moves on Saturday night, optioning lefty Pedro Figueroa and infielder Andy Parrino to Triple-A Sacramento and placing new shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Nakajima suffered the strain Tuesday in the 10th inning of a Cactus League game against the Indians. He wound up batting .167/.286/.190 with one extra-base hit (a double) in 49 spring plate appearances.
The A’s will use Jed Lowrie as their primary shortstop in the early going this season.
Nakajima, 30, signed a two-year, $6.5 million free agent contract with Oakland in December.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)