Mar 31, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
The A’s made their final round of roster moves on Saturday night, optioning lefty Pedro Figueroa and infielder Andy Parrino to Triple-A Sacramento and placing new shortstop Hiroyuki Nakajima on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left hamstring.
Nakajima suffered the strain Tuesday in the 10th inning of a Cactus League game against the Indians. He wound up batting .167/.286/.190 with one extra-base hit (a double) in 49 spring plate appearances.
The A’s will use Jed Lowrie as their primary shortstop in the early going this season.
Nakajima, 30, signed a two-year, $6.5 million free agent contract with Oakland in December.
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)