Mar 31, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval has been experiencing discomfort in his right elbow for over two weeks and felt renewed pain Friday after making a pair of plate appearances in a Cactus League game. But he still hasn’t been ruled out for Opening Day.
“It’s going to go down to the wire,” manager Bruce Bochy told Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News on Saturday. “It won’t be an easy call, but we’re pretty optimistic that he’s going to make it.”
“I’m feeling better,” added Sandoval when asked about the elbow. “If I’m allowed to, I’m going to be there.” If the Giants decide to play it safe, Joaquin Arias will probably get the fill-in start at the hot corner.
Sandoval, 26, batted .283/.342/.447 with 12 home runs and 63 RBI over 108 games last summer for the eventual World Series champions. He appeared in 117 games with the Giants in 2011.
San Francisco opens its regular-season schedule Monday afternoon against the Dodgers.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)