Mar 31, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
From beat writer Tim Britton of the Providence Journal comes word that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. from Double-A Portland. Mauro Gomez was designated for assignment to clear roster space.
Bradley will start in left field for the Red Sox on Opening Day and could stay up all year if he plays well enough. The 22-year-old batted .419/.507/.613 with four doubles, two home runs and 12 RBI in 28 games this spring in the Grapefruit League.
Bradley hit .315/.430/.482 with 42 doubles, nine homers, 24 stolen bases and 63 RBI in 128 games last summer between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He ranked 31st on Baseball America‘s list of the Top 100 prospects this winter.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)