Mar 31, 2013, 2:36 PM EDT
From beat writer Tim Britton of the Providence Journal comes word that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. from Double-A Portland. Mauro Gomez was designated for assignment to clear roster space.
Bradley will start in left field for the Red Sox on Opening Day and could stay up all year if he plays well enough. The 22-year-old batted .419/.507/.613 with four doubles, two home runs and 12 RBI in 28 games this spring in the Grapefruit League.
Bradley hit .315/.430/.482 with 42 doubles, nine homers, 24 stolen bases and 63 RBI in 128 games last summer between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He ranked 31st on Baseball America‘s list of the Top 100 prospects this winter.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 16
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)