Mar 31, 2013, 2:36 PM EST
From beat writer Tim Britton of the Providence Journal comes word that the Red Sox have purchased the contract of outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. from Double-A Portland. Mauro Gomez was designated for assignment to clear roster space.
Bradley will start in left field for the Red Sox on Opening Day and could stay up all year if he plays well enough. The 22-year-old batted .419/.507/.613 with four doubles, two home runs and 12 RBI in 28 games this spring in the Grapefruit League.
Bradley hit .315/.430/.482 with 42 doubles, nine homers, 24 stolen bases and 63 RBI in 128 games last summer between High-A Salem and Double-A Portland. He ranked 31st on Baseball America‘s list of the Top 100 prospects this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)