Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Surprising news this morning out of south Florida.
Fernandez, who doesn’t turn 21 years old until late July, was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 158/35 K/BB ratio in 134 innings last season between Low-A Greensboro and High-A Jupiter. Baseball America ranked him the fifth-best prospect in baseball this past winter.
Fernandez is scheduled to make his major league debut on April 7 in New York against the Mets.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)