Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM EST
Surprising news this morning out of south Florida.
Fernandez, who doesn’t turn 21 years old until late July, was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 158/35 K/BB ratio in 134 innings last season between Low-A Greensboro and High-A Jupiter. Baseball America ranked him the fifth-best prospect in baseball this past winter.
Fernandez is scheduled to make his major league debut on April 7 in New York against the Mets.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)