Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Surprising news this morning out of south Florida.
Fernandez, who doesn’t turn 21 years old until late July, was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 158/35 K/BB ratio in 134 innings last season between Low-A Greensboro and High-A Jupiter. Baseball America ranked him the fifth-best prospect in baseball this past winter.
Fernandez is scheduled to make his major league debut on April 7 in New York against the Mets.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)