Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Surprising news this morning out of south Florida.
Fernandez, who doesn’t turn 21 years old until late July, was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 158/35 K/BB ratio in 134 innings last season between Low-A Greensboro and High-A Jupiter. Baseball America ranked him the fifth-best prospect in baseball this past winter.
Fernandez is scheduled to make his major league debut on April 7 in New York against the Mets.
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)