Mar 31, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Surprising news this morning out of south Florida.
Fernandez, who doesn’t turn 21 years old until late July, was the 14th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. He posted a 1.75 ERA, 0.93 WHIP and 158/35 K/BB ratio in 134 innings last season between Low-A Greensboro and High-A Jupiter. Baseball America ranked him the fifth-best prospect in baseball this past winter.
Fernandez is scheduled to make his major league debut on April 7 in New York against the Mets.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (219)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)