Apr 1, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez met with the media for the first time in several months before today’s Yankees-Red Sox game in New York, but predictably didn’t answer many questions about the Biogenesis clinic he’s been linked to.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger sets the scene:
Rodriguez said he has met with the MLBPA to discuss his situation, but would not delve into details. He insisted he does not feel like the target of MLB’s probe, and that he is not worried about being suspended for violating the league’s drug policy.
“No, I’m not,” Rodriguez said. “But I’m not going to further discuss this. At some point, I feel that everything will be good.”
Those were his parting words. He was surrounding by a dense scrum of reporters, a group that likely stretched into triple digits.
Rodriguez also indicated that a midseason return remains the goal as he recovers from hip surgery, insisted he had no interest in being introduced with the Yankees today, and said that “missing spring training obviously sucks … it’s been a tough pill to swallow.”
Jayson Nix is starting at third base for the Yankees today.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)