Apr 1, 2013, 5:50 AM EDT
Astros 8, Rangers 2: The fundamental problem with baseball opening with a lone, prime time game is that everyone is watching it. And with all of the attention on one game, people are bound to overanalyze it, draw ridiculous conclusions and reach hard to make meaningful statements because, hey, if it’s the only game it must be important, yes?
Well, no, obviously. Unless you think Justin Maxwell is going to hit 324 triples, Matt Harrison is going to strike out over 300 batters while posting an ERA of 8 and Erik Bedard‘s three-inning save represents the return of John Hiller-esque firemen. No one believes any of that stuff. But with everyone watching ESPN and listening to Orel and John and Dan comparing journeymen to Derek Jeter and lauding this or that play as “a big league play” or what have you, it felt like something more than Houston vs. Texas.
And thankfully it was just one night of it. Today begins lots of baseball most days, with most games not mattering a whole hell of a lot. Which is kind of nice.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 12
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 23
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)