Apr 1, 2013, 5:50 AM EDT
Astros 8, Rangers 2: The fundamental problem with baseball opening with a lone, prime time game is that everyone is watching it. And with all of the attention on one game, people are bound to overanalyze it, draw ridiculous conclusions and reach hard to make meaningful statements because, hey, if it’s the only game it must be important, yes?
Well, no, obviously. Unless you think Justin Maxwell is going to hit 324 triples, Matt Harrison is going to strike out over 300 batters while posting an ERA of 8 and Erik Bedard‘s three-inning save represents the return of John Hiller-esque firemen. No one believes any of that stuff. But with everyone watching ESPN and listening to Orel and John and Dan comparing journeymen to Derek Jeter and lauding this or that play as “a big league play” or what have you, it felt like something more than Houston vs. Texas.
And thankfully it was just one night of it. Today begins lots of baseball most days, with most games not mattering a whole hell of a lot. Which is kind of nice.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)