Apr 1, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Bryce Harper pulled a Ricky Nolasco breaking ball into the seats for a solo homer on his first swing of the season and then took Nolasco deep again in the fourth inning. Two at-bats, two solo bombs on hanging breaking balls for the 20-year-old reigning Rookie of the Year who hit .478 this spring.
Calcaterra says to remind everyone that he picked Harper to win NL MVP in today’s “HBT Extra” video, so … whatever.
Also worth mentioning: Now that Harper is growing out his beard the Nationals’ outfield is tough to beat for overall beard-ness, with Jayson Werth always dominating and Denard Span always solid. Could be an overlooked key this season.
UPDATE: In his third at-bat Harper squared around to bunt on 0-1, took a bunch of pitches to make it 3-1, and then flied out to medium left-center. What a bum.
UPDATE #2: Harper is the youngest player ever to homer multiple times on Opening Day. He’s more than a year younger than the previous record-holder, Don Money.
Aug 27, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Aug 27, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
This is a great slice of weird, totally suitable for killing time on a slow afternoon. Bonus: Bon Jovi is tangentially involved.
Aug 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Los Angeles acquired Callaspo from Atlanta in a late-May trade.
Aug 27, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Last week’s rumored trade with the Dodgers apparently fell through.
Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
“Smithers’ I’m beginning to think that Homer Simpson was not the brilliant tactician I thought he was.”
Aug 27, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
He’s having an incredible season.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
Basically, we’re all miserable EXCEPT Cubs fans. What a bizzaro world we live in.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Jennings spent three months on the disabled list following knee surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:57 AM EDT
No wins in over three months despite a 3.24 ERA.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:06 AM EDT
Boycotts thrive on publicity. This one ended as soon as the publicity started.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:38 AM EDT
This is why Starlin Castro does not have the shortstop gig anymore.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:45 AM EDT
Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish, And opposing teams act like they forgot about JV.
Aug 26, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Crawford is having a breakout season at age 28, with an .806 OPS (123 OPS+), 19 home runs, and 75 RBI in 121 games.
Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 PM EDT
Verlander still managed to go the distance against a good Angels offense for his first shutout since 2012.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
It is August 26, 2015 and Justin Verlander has a no-hitter going against the Mike Trout-led Angels.
Aug 26, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
Good on everybody involved in wanting to get ahead of a potential tragedy.
Aug 26, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Marlins Park has some of the longest dimensions in Major League Baseball along with some of the tallest walls.
Aug 26, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
Padres outfielder Wil Myers has appeared in just 35 games this season due to an ongoing left wrist injury.
Aug 26, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Tigers right-hander Shane Greene allowed just one earned run over his first 23 innings (three starts) this season, but the wheels quickly fell off from there and now his 2015 ends with injury …
Aug 26, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
Porcello has had a miserable first season in Boston.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 23
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 28
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Indians place starter Carlos Carrasco on 15-day disabled list with right shoulder discomfort 1
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)