Apr 1, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Bryce Harper pulled a Ricky Nolasco breaking ball into the seats for a solo homer on his first swing of the season and then took Nolasco deep again in the fourth inning. Two at-bats, two solo bombs on hanging breaking balls for the 20-year-old reigning Rookie of the Year who hit .478 this spring.
Calcaterra says to remind everyone that he picked Harper to win NL MVP in today’s “HBT Extra” video, so … whatever.
Also worth mentioning: Now that Harper is growing out his beard the Nationals’ outfield is tough to beat for overall beard-ness, with Jayson Werth always dominating and Denard Span always solid. Could be an overlooked key this season.
UPDATE: In his third at-bat Harper squared around to bunt on 0-1, took a bunch of pitches to make it 3-1, and then flied out to medium left-center. What a bum.
UPDATE #2: Harper is the youngest player ever to homer multiple times on Opening Day. He’s more than a year younger than the previous record-holder, Don Money.
May 23, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Things are really ugly with the Marlins right now, both on and off the field.
May 23, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
The Dodgers knew about Ryu’s labrum tear before signing him to a six-year, $36 million contract in December of 2012.
May 23, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Miranda, 25, pitched in Cuba’s Serie Nacional from 2007-2013 and posted a 3.78 ERA over 64 starts and 16 relief appearances
May 23, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
The Marlins have lost eight games in a row and are now 0-5 under new manager Dan Jennings, but at least Dee Gordon is doing some cool things.
May 23, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
A quick recap of a busy Friday around MLB, including the rolling Royals.
May 22, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
Mike Trout is pretty good at this baseball thing.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
Bad news for the reeling Marlins: starters Mat Latos and Henderson Alvarez both will take at least a couple of weeks off due to injuries.
May 22, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
Ichiro Suzuki may be close to the end of a brilliant career, but he’s not done moving up baseball’s all-time leaderboards.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Nelson Cruz kept pace with Bryce Harper, taking back the MLB lead in home runs shortly after losing it.
May 22, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Stephen Vogt has been baseball’s best-hitting catcher and GM Billy Beane plans to hold onto him.
May 22, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Athletes aren’t born with an ability to speak with the media. We got a look into a media coaching session between Athletics closer Sean Doolittle and girlfriend Eireann Dolan.
May 22, 2015, 7:51 PM EDT
The Dodgers added some pitching depth on Friday, acquiring pitcher Eric Surkamp from the White Sox.
May 22, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The White Sox are managing Carlos Rodon’s workload so they pushed the lefty’s start back from Monday.
May 22, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Coco Crisp will go back on the disabled list, but has chosen against having career-ending surgery.
May 22, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Mets appear to be heading towards using a six-man rotation after Dillon Gee returns on Saturday.
May 22, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT
The Yankees firmly believe that the only people allowed to disparage Alex Rodriguez are the Yankees.
May 22, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Castillo is starting tonight in right field.
May 22, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
Janssen was signed for $5 million to replace Tyler Clippard as the Nationals’ primary setup man.
May 22, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
When I see you smile, Barry, I can face the world. You know I can do anything. When I see you smile, I see a ray of light.
May 22, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
21-year-old right-hander Norge Ruiz.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)