Bryce Harper would like you to see another side of him

Apr 1, 2013, 8:22 AM EDT

Bryce Harper Getty Getty Images

There is zero evidence that Bryce Harper is anything other than a hard worker focused on baseball 100%. But I have a feeling that if he does anything other than play MVP-caliber baseball this season, some folks are going to claim he’s let fame go to his head.  When they do, they’ll likely quote this story in the Washington Times chronicling the whirlwind offseason he’s just had. And his own words about how the public perceives him?

“I don’t want everybody to just see the baseball side of me,” Harper said, embracing the stardom that brings screaming fans (young, old, male, female) to every ballpark.

“I want everybody to see the other side of me, too — that I can be on a magazine with jeans and a T-shirt on and my hair done and things like that. I don’t want just me in my baseball hat all the time just the boring, old, ‘Look it’s Bryce Harper with eye black on again.’ I like people seeing the other side.”

Pretty sure this was a line from Rick Vaughn in “Major League 2.”  Not that I, um, saw “Major League 2″ or anything. Nope, not me. [whistles innocently].

1. mp4philly - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Never heard a man say ‘hair done’ before.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Are you implying that he has a feminine side?

• indaburg - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Nothing wrong with that.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I do my hair prior to the leaving the house every single morning.
      Likewise when we are going out with friends.
      So um…yeah…I get my “hair done” every morning and prior to going out.
      I suggest you get your “hair done” as well MP. It will make you feel better.

For purposes of clarification:
      It takes me twice as long to get ready as it does my Wife.
      My OCD is only a small portion of this.
      Most of it is me getting my “hair done” and selecting my “outfit.”
      Yep…”outfit.”
      My Gay neighbors tease me endlessly. They routinely refer to me as a closet queer.
      Meh. I am confident enough in my manhood that it doesn’t bother me.
      I tell them they hate me because I am beautiful.

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Clown comment Bryce.

3. tackleberries - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I thought the transition from Wesley Snipes to Omar Epps was seamless. But nah, I never saw it either.

4. mybrunoblog - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Oh boy. Harper please just shut up and play good baseball.

• voteforno6 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Yeah, Harper should know that people just want athletes to perform for them. No personality allowed, and they certainly are not allowed to voice opinions. Especially if we don’t agree with them.

• paperlions - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Here is your sarcasm font “/s”, you dropped it.

• voteforno6 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, sorry ’bout that.

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

You know, there’s personality and then there’s talking about wanting to be pretty. You don’t have to *say* the reason that GQ features Matt Kemp is cuz he’s pretty. I think everyone kind of knows it.

5. natstowngreg - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Young Mr. Harper is growing up before our very eyes. As with other prodigies, it will be fascinating to see how he handles the transition to adulthood.

• stex52 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

You got it Greg. I don’t think he’s doing badly so far.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

As someone who, at the age of 38, still shaves every fourth day or so, I am impressed by the whiskers on this kid at 19yo. Beyond that, I am just ecstatic that we will have a full slate of games by tomorrow, meaning that articles about baseball players and their hair care will be replaced by full-on game recaps and statistical analysis. PLAY BALL

• aceshigh11 - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Thank god I’m not alone.

I’m 34 and can’t even grow a full beard…I could grow a goatee if I wanted to. I shave every other day but I could probably get away with 3 or 4 days like you.

• jm91rs - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I’ve been shaving a full beard since 9th grade, trust me it aint all that great. Damn Catholic school not letting me have facial hair, you wouldn’t believe how many times I had to write the word “shave” as a punishment.

And now as an adult I look like a homeless man that stole a business man’s suit if I go 3 days without shaving.

• gunpowderjones - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I shave once a week at most, and it’s wonderful. Because shaving sucks. IT’S A BLADE ON YOUR FACE, MAN!!!

7. heyblueyoustink - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

“I want everybody to see the other side of me, too — that I can be on a magazine with jeans and a T-shirt on and my hair done and things like that”

So he’s the Justin Bieber of MLB.

Dually noted.

• nategearhart - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Explain the comparison, it’s lost on me.
      Also, if you’re gonna be a wiseass, note that it’s “DULY noted”, not “dually”. Unless you’re saying you noted it twice?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It’s all about the multiple personalities! The board member in my head was in agreeance.

And perhaps a little “Bryce Harper house of Worship” trolling.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Come on Nate. Isn’t it obvious?

8. chill1184 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Over/Under until we see Chuck Norris jokes applied to Harper. My money is on a month

9. raysfan1 - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It’s okay, Craig. Just don’t ever admit to having seen “Major League: Back to the Minors.”

• woodenulykteneau - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM

With the exception of the Zuckermanesque gag in this scenethis scene

• jm91rs - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Pedro Cerano was in all 3, so they’re ok by me!

• pillowporkers - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Your in good hands with Allstate

• mgflolox - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

That’s President Cerano, if you don’t mind.

10. carbydrash - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

A close friend of mine claims with a straight face that Major League 2 was better than the first one.

I’m sorry, I made a typo.

An *EX* close friend of mine claims with a straight face that Major League 2 is better than the first one.

• voteforno6 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Hopefully this didn’t result in an argument that ended the friendship. I mean, I get it if your friend said that the Transformers was the greatest movie ever made, and you never spoke to that person again. But Major League vs. Major League 2?

• carbydrash - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Have you seen Major League 2? It’s much worse than you remember.

11. dowhatifeellike - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If the fame does go to his head, it’ll be the media’s fault. I don’t seen any DC people fawning all over him, just the media.

RG3 on the other hand… well, some are calling him “RG3sus”…

12. historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Please, God, no bathroom self-portraits!

13. SpokaneGuy - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I can’t wait to see what Bryce does this year. Any baseball fan would agree he’s fun to watch.

But this “other side” he wants us to see? He wears jeans and a t-shirt. Wow. I would have never guessed. Super-enlightening.

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I was afraid he meant mooning at first. Whew!

14. coryfor3 - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

He may want us to see the other side of him, but he can’t make me want to see it.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate