Apr 1, 2013, 8:22 AM EST
There is zero evidence that Bryce Harper is anything other than a hard worker focused on baseball 100%. But I have a feeling that if he does anything other than play MVP-caliber baseball this season, some folks are going to claim he’s let fame go to his head. When they do, they’ll likely quote this story in the Washington Times chronicling the whirlwind offseason he’s just had. And his own words about how the public perceives him?
“I don’t want everybody to just see the baseball side of me,” Harper said, embracing the stardom that brings screaming fans (young, old, male, female) to every ballpark.
“I want everybody to see the other side of me, too — that I can be on a magazine with jeans and a T-shirt on and my hair done and things like that. I don’t want just me in my baseball hat all the time just the boring, old, ‘Look it’s Bryce Harper with eye black on again.’ I like people seeing the other side.”
Pretty sure this was a line from Rick Vaughn in “Major League 2.” Not that I, um, saw “Major League 2″ or anything. Nope, not me. [whistles innocently].
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)