Apr 1, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Barney sliced his knee open while chasing down a foul ball Saturday and the light-hitting Gold Glove winner will be out of the lineup for a couple weeks, with Brent Lillibridge expected to fill in at second base and Alberto Gonzalez being added to the roster as infield depth.
Barney played 156 games last season, hitting .256 with seven homers and a .653 OPS while making headlines for a 141-game errorless streak at second base.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (109)