Davey Johnson not pleased that the Nats have decided this is his last year

Apr 1, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT

Davey Johnson AP

The story of Davey Johnson’s career: he wins baseball games like crazy but then he is either forced out of by management before he’s ready to go, after which said team suddenly starts losing lots of baseball games.

In light of that, you’d think the Nats would maybe, you know, not want history to repeat itself. But they seem to think they’ll avoid what happened to the Mets, Orioles, Reds and Dodgers after Johnson was kicked to the curb. Here’s his response to Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post when the idea of this being his last season as Nats manager is brought up:

“I don’t like that,” Johnson said one warm afternoon this spring, spitting tobacco juice inside the dugout at the Atlanta Braves’ spring training stadium. “That sounds like finality. Obviously, it’s my last year managing the Washington Nationals. The Nationals are more comfortable with that than me, because I don’t really go to that point. I think you basically work till you die.”

And, reading the rest of Kilgore’s piece, you definitely get the sense that his players love him.

Will yet another team cut bait on Davey when everything is going so well on the field? Are the Nationals really convinced that they’ll do better than everyone else who has gone that route in the past?

1. dowhatifeellike - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Until we landed Buck, I wanted Davey back in Baltimore but Angelos burned that bridge and pissed on the ashes long ago.

2. decimusprime - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

My knowledge of front office decision making in sports is little to none but unless baseball is different then the other sports, you NEVER get rid of a winning skipper. The Nat’s were bottom feeders only a few years ago. Last time I checked, winning meant keeping your job.

3. jam11163 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM

can you say lame duck. count out the nats to win the division……

4. a125125125 - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I heard they’re going to hire Jim Riggleman.

5. paperlions - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

He should quit.

6. juggernautjay - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

This is the exact same thing the Nationals did to Riggleman.

• recoveringcubsfan - Apr 1, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I hope that’s satcasm, because Riggleman sucked. He sucked everywhere, from Chicago on. Jeez.

Anyway, Craig joins the long and ignominious list of those who misunderstand the expression “fish or cut bait.” Did he mean “cut the line”? Cutting bait means, well, cutting up bait. It isn’t something the Nats can do on Davey Johnson, contra CC.

7. heyblueyoustink - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Maybe they’ll have an ultimate president’s race to decide who the next manager is.

No matter who wins, it’ll be a youth movement.

8. indaburg - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My understanding was that Johnson mutually decided with the Nats to manage one more year. I thought he said something like he would’ve considered retiring last year if the Nats had won the World Series. What changed? I read the article and the reporter didn’t ask that question.

9. historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

This is a family game, honey. I can’t have someone living in sin representing my team. It sends the wrong message. Isn’t that right, Pete?

— deadmargeschott

10. aarontzach - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Please oh please! Let Ron Gardenhire get fired by the Twins! Davey would certainly find a spot near the top of my wish list.

11. elmo - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I can’t seem to recall Davey winning games like crazy with the Dodgers.

12. brazcubas - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I believe he’s still under contract for next year as an adviser for Rizzo. All along, I thought it was his choice to manage this year and then slide into the front office. If he still wants to manage beyond this year, the Nationals should let him (assuming this season doesn’t go up in flames Marlins-style).

13. thenaturalmevs - Apr 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I stick with the guy until he wins a title or dies, one of the two/whichever comes first. He’s the best manager in baseball, and that’s counting that “weird wussy” (Davey’s words) Maddon in that group too.

14. mtr75 - Apr 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Does anyone proofread these stories? If someone does they should be fired.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I see it more and more with every article. Partically the two local papers.
      I blame the economy…companies doing more with less…George W. Bush and Sequestration.

*s/

15. seattlenative57 - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Considering he took the Nats job following Riggleman’s sloppy dismissal, it’s tough to imagine he didn’t see this coming. I mean the Nats and Rizzo aren’t exactly known for their sentimentality, kindness or Miss Manners ethics. It’s a rough business and the Nats front office shows little regard for loyalty. Nor do the care much for public opinion (see Strasburg decision). As an employee in Washington, I’d watch my back. Ruthless is the description that comes to mind.

16. seattlenative57 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM

For the record, Johnson agreed as a consultant to Rizzo in 2011 to hire himself as manager (he was the selection committee) and that he would return as Rizzo’s consultant following the 2013 season. Not that anyone, including Johnson, wishes to discuss honoring that agreement.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win