Opening Day is Opening Night? No Reds? No Nostalgia? No problem.

Apr 1, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT

Bunting flag

Joe Posnanski starts out his latest column pretending to be a crotchety old man about Opening Day and tradition but then reminds us that, no, it doesn’t make a difference if things are different now than they were when we were all eight years-old:

And, no, when you cut through the nonsense, it doesn’t matter that the first game is at night or that the Astros are in the American League now or that weird matchups like Reds-Angels will pepper the schedule for six months. So what? Baseball’s back.

We can grumble about how things are now. The changes. The innovations. But it’s still baseball.

1. ultichiva - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Beisbol sucks

2. sheriffpeyton18 - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

We would have had more games yesterday had it not been Easter!!

3. dondada10 - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

MLB has opened Seasons in Japan. I think we can say that tradition is a thing of the past.

Whatever. Play ball.

4. jm91rs - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I remember the outrage when the Reds were no longer the first game of the year. I was so mad and I didn’t even know why. I just know that every old person around me was saying that’s not how it’s supposed to be. When I was old enough to think about it for myself it became pretty clear that it really doesn’t matter who opens the season. Baseball is back and that’s the key!

I will say that the Reds should always open the season at home, economically it’s very important to the city to have that parade. It’s probably good for baseball in general too to show clips of tens of thousands of people lining the streets for a baseball related parade, even the all mighty NFL can’t line people up for an opening day parade. But whether or not that parade happens on the official first day of the baseball year, who cares?

5. proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:33 AM

The beginning of Joe’s column appears to have been his version of an April Fools joke.

6. Gonzo - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I love tradition in baseball. But up until a few years ago, I had no idea that the Reds had always been the first game. ESPN or local news never illustrated that point growing up.

7. jlinatl - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I guess I’m getting old, I don’t see the harm in maintainting some of the traditions. Why is problematic to open with a day game in Cincinnati then have evening games that evening each year?

Why, when I was young I remember John Madden going on and on at the beginning of every football season about how he wished football was more like baseball as far as opening day.

I do like most of the new metrics, I am for some form of replay, etc. So, I don’t consider myself overly old fashioned but having some of the tradition upheld is not all bad.

8. fraleyr - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

the reds should be the 1st game period. yeah its still baseball but traditions are traditions. maybe after bud selig FINALLY retires. i hate that guy

• jm91rs - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

There are so many reasons it had to be moved from Cincinnati for the first game of the year. Baseball wants to be bigger than it is, and that means capitalizing on TV opportunities. If they can have a prime-time Sunday night game, it’s going to do better than opening up with a 1pm game in Cincinnati. I will agree the Astros are a weak draw. Copying the NFL and opening with the defending champs against their biggest rival would make the most sense to me as far as increased ratings.

If they want to open on a weekend like they have been, and on Prime Time TV, the city of Cincinnati would throw a fit. The Parade, etc. only work because it’s a weekday. People use it as an excuse to take off work and go celebrate baseball all day. You think as many people would have been there yesterday if they had to skip Easter with the family to go watch the parade? Change in this case is good for the bottom dollar of baseball, which is good for the game overall.

9. psunick - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM

If not at Cincinnati, then at the home of the World Champs. But, certainly not an opening night on national tv with the Astros!

10. stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I seem to be in the minority hear. Personally, I agree with jlinatl. I must be getting old as well. Scratch that…I know I am getting old. But I too agree the game needs some form of replay. I don’t necessarily mind all the inter league play. It opens the other league up to fans who would most likely never see teams for those leagues. So yeah…I am not against change. If it is positive good change. I am also a big fan of tradition. And the Redlegs being the original franchise…should host opening day every year. As a side note…seeing all the people show up (at 7:30 A.M.) drinking cocktails in anticipation of the game is wonderful for MLB. If you haven’t been to Cincinnati on opening day…I urge you to do so.

11. chicoruiz - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Started Opening Day in Cincinnati with my 79 year old father drinking Bloody Mary’s at Washington Platform Grill, capped by two oyster shooters. Walked a block to watch the Findlay Market parade. Only stayed for an hour and a half, left to go to Izzy’s for lunch. Dad commented to the waitress that the place doubled in size since he was last there. They both remembered how Izzy would charge patrons based on how much he thought they could afford. Dad went to 20 Opening Days in a row, with guys from work. Owner’s son would complain whenever his Dad (the owner) joined.
    We wore our polo shirts previously owned by Josh Hamilton (that’s right, owned) when he played in Cincy, with coats to brave the 45 degree chill. Got tickets for a game, but got a game and a half instead, as we stayed for all 13 innings. A loss, but a great game, two beers each, and a bag of peanuts.
    That’s Opening Day in Cincinnati!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate