Apr 1, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
Pablo Sandoval has had elbow problems for the past two weeks and had a setback Friday while playing in a spring training game, but he’s in the Giants’ lineup for Opening Day against Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers.
Sandoval is starting at third base and batting third after manager Bruce Bochy said over the weekend that his availability would “go down to the wire.”
Sandoval missed five weeks with a broken hamate bone last season and struggled in the second half after returning, but then had a huge postseason and hit .400 this spring.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)