The Giants to wear gold-trimmed caps and jerseys for their ring ceremony

Apr 1, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

The Cardinals wore stuff like this for their ring ceremony last year. Now the Giants are doing it. I didn’t much care for it then and still don’t. Seems so every St. Louis Rams of them. Or, more to the point, a cash grab for more cap sales:

source:

All that said, kinda surprised that we only have one black and gold team in all of baseball. It’s a good combo.

1. gigab0t - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

As a Tigers fan I’m still sore…but those look awesome

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I hope we don’t do anything like that.

2. mrfloydpink - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

On a related note, this is a pretty cool graph/chart of team colors:

• beavertonsteve - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Yeah, that is a cool chart, although based on their new look I think the Astros have moved completely back into the “orange” category instead of red/orange.

3. spudchukar - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Something tells me you wouldn’t be as turned off if it were a gold embossed Atlanta uniform.

4. mybrunoblog - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:39 PM

From an aesthetic standpoint I really dislike the look. From a fan standpoint it’s an obvious cash grab. I hope this isn’t the new trend.

• dondada10 - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I personally find them very handsome.

5. baymac408 - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

This is so sick!! I love these jerseys! LETS GO GIANTS!! 2 for 3 I’m so proud to be a Giants fan!!

6. asimonetti88 - Apr 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM

They won the World Series, they can wear whatever they want to celebrate it.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I disagree. Success in life doesn’t give you a license to have bad taste.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I don’t think they’re that terrible. The hats I’m not big on but the jerseys are fine. Like I said, they earned the right to wear them.

7. sharks2cup20 - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Actually Craig, the Giants started the gold trend back in 2011 after winning it and then the Cardinals copied them to a tee the next year.

8. smcgaels1997 - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

They actually wore them in 2010 for they’re ring ceremony as well

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Wouldn’t that be 2011? They ring ceremony is usually the year after right?

• a125125125 - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Typical of Craig’s research skills and clumsy writing……he fails to point out that the 2010 World Series Champion Giants wore gold-embossed unis and hats during the 2011 Opening Day Ceremonies. As noted buffoon Craig Calcaterra points out….the World Series Champions have done it every year since. Craig’s off to an especially buffoony start this year.

• manchestermiracle - Apr 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Craig might occasionally fan on a knuckleball fact, but he’s no match for your obvious ability to go 162-0 in the troll/asshole pitching sabermetric….

• mkd - Apr 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM

“The World Series Champions have done it every year since.” I like it. Sounds way better than “There has been one World Series Champion since and they also did it…”

9. theptbnl - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The Red Sox first did this after winning in ’04 (although they only wore the gold trimmed uni’s during the ring ceremony and not during the game) and, I believe, every other champion has done it since them (except for the Yankees).

10. thebadguyswon - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Sweet unis.

11. sfbean - Apr 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Craig you know the Giants started this…

12. vader000 - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Actually, as noted above, the Red Sox did this after their championship in ’04 and I know that the Phillies also did this after their ’08 Series win. Ya can’t have it all SF.

13. jarathen - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I’d like to say it’s tacky and a bit gaudy, and it is, but at the same time, teams get to enjoy the championship very briefly before trying to figure out the imperfect science of winning it again as soon as possible. In the end, it’s just celebration of a victory, and I’m cool with that so long as no one jumps on home plate, shattering their ankle in the process.

14. garythebat - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

GO RAMS

15. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I’m not a fan of them, but it would be stupid of the Giants if they didn’t try to cash in for winning the world series. The more $ they make, the easier it is to keep the team together. # rocket science

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2963)