The Yankees’ Opening Day lineup is something to behold

Apr 1, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT

It’s not like this is a surprise, but it still is rather jarring to see the New York Yankees trot out this as an Opening Day lineup:

In other news, this week’s cover of “The New Yorker” is quite something to behold in and of itself:

source:

Still, as I said in the previews, I believe the Yankees are going to annoy us once again this year. April and May might be rough. But by July they’ll probably be in the thick of things. I don’t think they have enough juice to hold on, but there’s no reason to expect this team to fold up like so many seem to think.

1. Nick - Apr 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM

That lineup doesn’t make the Yankees look bad; it makes them look mortal. I wish my team was good enough for the past twenty years for such an issue to open the floodgates of criticism.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

It is April Fools Day Yankee fans!

• paperlions - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Nah, that lineup is pretty atrocious. How many league average hitters are in there? Two? Maybe 3? That’s ugly.

2. cowboyscanada - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Go Jays!!!!!!!

3. yankeesgameday - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM

The bleacher creatures are going to need a cheat sheet for roll call.

4. El Bravo - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

this is stillllllll not a bad lineup and that guy named CC is really really good. let’s also not forget they’re playing boston, who isn’t the most solid team on paper either.

• Ben - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Cano, Gardner and Youkilis are the only players in that lineup who belong on an opening day lineup. The rest are platoon/4th outfield/utility guys masquerading as starters. But yeah, that Sabathia guy is real good.

• munsonsgravity - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Horrible, horrible lineup. Except for Cano it’s full of guys who are way past their prime or who are AAAA guys. Btutal.

5. proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Awesome cover.

6. dondada10 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

DOOM!

• 18thstreet - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Is there any doubt that Vernon Wells is going to go 2-3 with a homer, a double, and a walk today? Any at all?

• dondada10 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Yes, there is.

• cur68 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I swear, the centrepiece of that lineup IS Wells. He could be The Man or he could be The Great Pumpkin. He’s spent the last few seasons firmly as a pumpkin but he’s been ripping up the pea patch this spring. Maybe this is the season he re-emerges from the rows of corn and mows ‘em down like he used to when he was in his salad days?

I find the man utterly maddening. He seems to spend his seasons muttering “rhubarb” out there in Left or as bench garnish and doing bugger-all at the plate UNLESS it screws over something I want. THEN he digs his cloven hooves into the turf and starts hacking like he’s making hay while the sun shines. He seems determined to contribute to my unhappiness. With that pattern sown in my mind, I feel that he’ll RAKE for The Empire this season.

Vernon Wells is Evil.

• spudchukar - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

A lot of Yankees will be “raking” this season, and that will be small consolation come October, when the leaves are plentiful, and the team has nothing else to do.

• historiophiliac - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Nix.

/giggling

7. rbj1 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Who’s on first?

8. chlstn - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Go Sawx

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM

The Angels are supposed to produce more runs than a Mexican water fountain, but really they are only stacked with Trout leading off, and the 3-5 guys. I am not saying this lineup is as good, but it is only off by a player or two. And this is the lineup against LHP. Most days will look a bit better with Haffner and maybe Boesch in there.

In a week or so they will add Jeter. In 4 or 5 weeks they will add Granderson. Maybe Teixeira plays, maybe he doesn’t, but eventually the Yankees will pick up a contract for a hitter some small market club does not want to pay anymore. Who had Ichiro slated for Yankee Stadium last April?

I guess what I am trying to say is that the Yankees lineup haas fallen SO FAR that it looks like what most other teams in baseball put out every day. The only differences are that the pitching remains well above average, and the lineup condition is temporary. Just relax everybody.

• gostlcards5 - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

That is a GREAT analogy….I’m still laughing my head off.

10. uyf1950 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Heck they are only playing the Red Sox, that line up should be plenty good enough today. I figure this should give the Red Sox fans who comment here a chance to let lose and thumb down my comment. They are such a sensitive group.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:37 AM

It is only the Red Sox; however, Lester has had a great spring. I expect a low scoring pitching duel with a Wells home run in the 9th winning the game. Boston does not have a decent closer.

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You’re correct in your assessment….Boston doesn’t have a decent closer…they on fact have TWO decent closers in Bailey and Harahan.

Which is two more than the Jays awful bullpen.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

A weak April Fools Day joke. I believe that Hanrahan’s ERA this spring was over 7.00. Baily will probably become the full time closer sometime this month. As far as the Jays are concerned, Mighty Casey’s ERA this spring was 0.00

• thinman61 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Boston has two decent closers: Uehara and Tazawa. Unfortunately neither is likely to get the ball in a save situation in the ninth.

• uyf1950 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Lester did have a great spring for whatever that’s worth. But now is the time when the “rubber meets the road” so to speak. Lets see which Lester shows up for this game the spring training Lester OR the Sept. 2011 and the mostly 2012 Lester.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 1, 2013 at 4:34 PM

@thinman – the Sox are cleverly saving their best relievers for use in higher-leverage situations. Hanrahan is there to give them camoflauge, and take the ball with a 3-run lead in the ninth inning with no one on base.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Yep!

• mickeylolich1968 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Not so sensitive Red Sox fan here!
      We must Sox must also note the Sox lineup today. Double yikes.

• uyf1950 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

My friend, I’m just curious why the moniker of a very good old time Tigers player?

• mickeylolich1968 - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Grew up in Detroit. My first baseball memories involve Mickey Lolich pitching in Tiger Stadium.

11. barrywhererufrom - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Eventually the doomsayers will be right. But before you anoint the Blue Birds from Toronto or That Orange Bird from Baltimore. I would take heed to the fact that the Yankees are getting Tex, Jeter, Grandyman back with plenty of games to play. Do not forget Pineda will be back too. So have your fun now. Pronounce them DOA before a pitch is thrown in anger. Just remember he who laughs lasts laughs loudest..and he who doesn’t win anything are usually the Jays, Orioles so bite me!

12. thebadguyswon - Apr 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yankees Suck

13. cackalackyank - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I think one of the more significant things about this lineup(besides the multimillion dollar DL) is that they went with Nix at third and moved Youk over to first.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Overbay probably has poor career numbers against Lester. It will be interesting to see Youk against Lester.

P.S. Surprisingly, Youk cleaned up real good without that ugly facial hair.

14. jaysjunkie - Apr 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

As much as I’m getting great enjoyment out of seeing the mighty Yankees picking up former Blue Jays off the scrap heap and trying to coax other old guys out of retirement, I’ll fully believe they’re an also-ran this season when I see it in the standings come mid-summer. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see them do a lot better than I think a lot of people are expecting.

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM

They won’t be better than the Blue Jays, regardless of the Jays potentially horrible ‘pen.

Glad to see the Jays back in the mix!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Au contraire, the Jays pen is potentially great. Two closers, a couple more hard throwing righties and 3 lefties. Just wait until your team’s left handed slugger has to face the Cajun Wolf Man. Loup is a quiet assassin of left handed hitters.

15. jdrew506 - Apr 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I know this a bit off topic but just heard them talking about Rivera and how some people are not going to vote him as a first ballet hall of famer. Anyone who does not should never be allowed to vote ever again.

16. drewzducks - Apr 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

“enough juice to hold on…” I see what you did their Craig. Subtle, yet clever.

17. cackalackyank - Apr 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Well it is only one game…but that pitching I was hoping would keep the wolves at bay…not lookin so spiffy. …and you know its going to be a long year when a one for three and 2 RBI from Cervelli is the offensive highlight of opening day. #DOOM

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)