Apr 1, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Elvis Andrus‘ eight-year, $120 million contract extension puts an end to any speculation that the Rangers would trade him to clear shortstop for stud prospect Jurickson Profar, but in doing so it opens up another can of worms involving Ian Kinsler.
Profar is arguably the No. 1 overall prospect in baseball, so presuming that the Rangers plan to hold onto him second base seems like the natural destination. Of course, Ian Kinsler is the Rangers’ current second baseman and has been since 2006, making three All-Star teams as one of the best all-around players at the position in baseball.
Kinsler is also signed through 2017, with a team option for 2018. So that means either the Rangers will look to trade the 30-year-old Kinsler to open up second base for the 20-year-old Profar or they’ll slide Kinsler to another position to keep them both. Kinsler could certainly play first base, but while his usual 25 homers and .800 OPS are extremely impressive among second basemen that production would be nothing special among first basemen.
It’s an interesting dilemma for the Rangers and certainly a nice problem to have. It’s also not something that needs an immediate resolution, because Profar is currently at Triple-A and turned 20 years old six weeks ago. But the Rangers are going to have some decisions to make pretty soon. Kinsler is owed $13 million this season and $62 million from 2014-2017.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)