Felix Hernandez gives John Jaso a Rolex

Apr 2, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT

John Jaso AP

Wanting to reward the guy who caught his perfect game against the Rays last year, Mariners starter Felix Hernandez sent A’s catcher John Jaso a Rolex before the two squared off Monday.

Hernandez had “Perfect Game ” and “8/15/12″ inscribed on the watch, which was delivered via a clubhouse employee about 90 minutes before first pitch. Jaso was traded from Seattle to Oakland in the offseason as part of the three-team Michael Morse deal.

“It’s pretty heavy. It’s got to be real,” Jaso told MLB.com’s Jane Lee. “The watch I own, I think it’s a Timex, so this is a bit of an upgrade.”

Despite the kind gesture, Jaso wasn’t feeling especially magnanimous during the game; he doubled in the fourth for Oakland’s first hit of the game off Hernandez. That came after he told CSNBayArea.com’s Casey Pratt he wouldn’t have much help for his new teammates in the hitting department:

“What does he go to for his strikeout pitch? A change up? A curveball? A slider? I don’t want to say watch out for his change up and then he’s flipping curveballs up there,” Jaso said.

King Felix did, in fact, have the last laugh tonight, throwing 7 2/3 scoreless innings in the Mariners’ 2-0 victory.

1. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

A nice gesture, certainly. I can’t help but wonder about how it took Mr Hernandez 7 months to get the guy a gift, and then he declined to give it to him personally.

• udub - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Wow, way to read too much into things.

You think in the offseason players just spend the whole time visiting other players, especially when they’re on two different teams now?

Players don’t hang out in the opponents clubhouse before games to meet up with former teammates, especially when they’re starting that night. The day of a players start is nothing but their routine to get ready for the start.

This is nothing more than what it is, a nice gesture.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 2, 2013 at 4:18 AM

No, udub, I’m not so daft as to think they all hang out together, and perhaps you missed my first sentence about how I thought it was a nice gesture. I just wondered why he didn’t think of it in the month+ after the game when they were still teammates. So, way to misread my comment.

• jm91rs - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

My guess, he assumed Jaso would be around to get it on opening day as a member of the Mariners. When the trade went down he looked at the schedule and said “I’ll give it to him that day”.

• tuberippin - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

And then he got $175,000,000 so he was primed to hand out some expensive watches.

• seattlej - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Also, it turns out that baseball players are somewhat busy during the season and may be a little too preoccupied to spend their time lavishing one another with luxurious gifts.

2. skerney - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Wait, what?

3. kiwicricket - Apr 2, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I would of been wrapped with a gift card for a free ‘Bubble Bath’ at ‘Mimi’s Hot Tub Palace’.
    A Rolex is a nice gesture, I believe the Big Unit did the same thing for his Perfect game years back.

4. aceshigh11 - Apr 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

It’s good to be the King.

5. wmg8383 - Apr 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I think Felix should have called Jeter’s gift basket guy, see if maybe they would have delivered to Oakland. A Rolex is so cliche, who wouldn’t rather have had a bottle of wine, some nice cheeses, crackers, and maybe a bar of artisan soap?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3032)