Apr 2, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
There’s a buzz about the new-look Blue Jays in Toronto, as evidenced by the high-energy sell-out crowd of 48,857 that packed Rogers Centre for Tuesday night’s opener against the Indians.
But what that crowd witness wasn’t very pretty.
J.P. Arencibia had a hard time with R.A. Dickey‘s knuckler, allowing three passed balls as the Indians raced to a 4-1 lead before Dickey departed at the end of the sixth inning. Dickey walked four batters and surrendered five hits, and Arencibia’s mistakes ensured that those baserunners proved costly.
Cleveland was able to maintain that 4-1 lead.
The Blue Jays acquired catcher Josh Thole from the Mets in this winter’s seven-player Dickey trade but sent him to Triple-A Buffalo last week. If Arencibia doesn’t improve next time out and current backup Henry Blanco can’t handle Dickey’s signature pitch either, Thole may have to be added to the 25-man roster.
Arencibia has 41 home runs in his last 231 games, but he has never been much of a defender.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 0
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 42
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 39
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)