Apr 2, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Last week the Indians designated Ezequiel Carrera for assignment and today the Phillies claimed the 25-year-old outfielder off waivers.
Carrera hasn’t hit much in the majors so far, but he’s a center fielder with very good speed and has shown some decent on-base skills in the minors. He’ll be a backup outfielder for the Phillies, who designated Rule 5 pick Ender Inciarte for assignment to make room for Carrera on the 40-man roster.
Assuming that no other teams claim Inciarte off waivers the Diamondbacks will probably take him back.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)