Apr 2, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Ryan Ludwick suffered a dislocated right shoulder while sliding into third base yesterday and the Reds announced that he’ll undergo surgery tomorrow to repair torn cartilage.
There’s no official timetable for his return yet, but the Reds placed Ludwick on the disabled list and obviously he’s going to be out for a while.
Chris Heisey is the obvious fill in, although if Ludwick’s injury keeps him out for months rather than weeks the Reds could eventually turn to top prospect Billy Hamilton in center field, with Shin-Soo Choo shifting to left field.
For now though Hamilton is at Triple-A, making life miserable for International League catchers, and Heisey will get a chance to play regularly after hitting .258 with a .750 OPS in 338 games as a part-timer during the past three seasons.
Ludwick had a big bounceback year in 2012, hitting .275 with 26 homers and an .877 OPS, and then re-signed with the Reds for $15 million over two seasons.
UPDATE: Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Ludwick is expected to miss three months.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)