Sandy Koufax relieved Magic Johnson for the first pitch at Dodger Stadium

Apr 2, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Fans at Dodger Stadium got to see a pretty cool ceremonial first pitch yesterday before the Dodgers-Giants game.

New owner Magic Johnson took the mound to throw out the first pitch, but then manager Don Mattingly came out of the dugout to make a pitching change, signaling for a reliever as Vin Scully’s voice came over of the PA system to say: “It looks like it’s gonna be a left-hander.”

And then Sandy Koufax took the mound:

And that was before Clayton Kershaw decided to throw a shutout and hit a homer. Helluva day in Los Angeles.

1. jarathen - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Sounds like one of the best Dodger games in recent memory to be at.

• El Bravo - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

heck of a lot better than their fans nearly beating a Giants fan to death a couple years ago…

• jarathen - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I don’t know that anyone has forgotten about Bryan Stowe. I’m no Dodgers fan, but I don’t think it’s fair to paint them with such a wide stroke. A few bad people did horrible things to another person. Bad things happen. They shouldn’t, but they do. And it hasn’t happened since, so I’m thinking ownership then and now has learned a lesson, though I haven’t been to Dodgers Stadium in 20 years so I can’t speak to actual changes implemented since.

• El Bravo - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

oh i wasnt calling out dodgers fans at all. that did appear to be an isolated, unfortunate incident. i dont believe their fans are all shitbirds like that. i mean, c’mon, it isn’t philly…simply stating this will bring much more positive opening day memories for LA than that one opening day a few years back.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM

“I don’t think it’s fair to paint them with such a wide stroke…”

The Stowe situation may have been anomalous in terms of how bad it was, but it was not entirely out of character for Dodgers games, either. Over the course of many years, Dodger Stadium developed a reputation for thuggery, particularly in the bleachers. I know many people who were verbally or physically accosted at one point or another, and I know many people who simply stopped going to Dodgers games…

• El Bravo - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

good. i see by the down thumbs that philly phans are still reading me. suck it, philly. the bravos lit up your ace last night. you like that? go braves!

2. psuorioles - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

That’s pretty cool and gave me chills watching it… Very nicely done Dodgers!

3. shaggylocks - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I don’t know why I was worried, but I had this fear that he was going to bounce it or something.

4. klbader - Apr 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sandy Kofax is 77. I hope I look that good when I am 77.

• Old Gator - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I hope I’m still alive when I’m 77.

• indaburg - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Many of us younger than 77 wish we looked that good today.

• themuddychicken - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

When 77 years old you reach, look as good you will not?

5. aceshigh11 - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

A story involving Scully, Koufax AND Magic Johnson?

Awesome.

• cur68 - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Did you see Orel Leonard Hershiser IV, too? Yeah, THAT was a neat group of people.

6. elmo - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It was #32 meets #32 out there, despite Magic’s wearing a lucky 13 instead of the number both wore and both the Lakers and Dodgers retired.

7. Old Gator - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

How cool a move was that? I mean, how freaking cool? That’d be almost like Scrooge McLoria preparing to deliver the first pitch when Bud Light walks out, signals a change, and introduces Mark Cuban as the new owner of the Feesh.

8. stlouis1baseball - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:40 PM

For some reason…I can’t NOT smile when I see Sandy Koufax.
    Great job Dodgers! Well played.

9. jamkarat - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Magic/Mattingly/Scully/Koufax…such a moment, it almost made me a Dodgers fan. Priceless!

10. sophiethegreatdane - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Fantastic!

11. mybrunoblog - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Live the fact that Koufax wore the off white/cream colored flannel 1960s throwback jersey. Well done.

12. historiophiliac - Apr 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM

dolphin squeal!

13. hip2bdaniel - Apr 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

i wish they would give them a little bit of room on the field. Between the still photographer and the videographer, it makes for an awfully crowded scene.

14. jimatkins - Apr 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I think the new management is doing a good job of making blue respectable again.

15. manchestermiracle - Apr 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Nice to see Koufax back in the Dodger fold. He was with the team as a minor league pitching coach until 1989. When Fox owned the club the New York Post (both are under the News Corp. umbrella) put out a trash piece that Koufax was gay. They quickly retracted the story and apologized, but Koufax rightly told them to go to hell.

After McCourt bought the team Sandy came back for spring training visits, helping the pitchers again, but nothing in an official capacity. Now that Guggenheim is in charge Magic reached out to Sandy and made this reunion possible. L.A.’s pretty lucky to have community treasures of this stature.

16. armorgan67 - Apr 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Its Sandy Koufax!!! Enough said. It doesn’t matter if he bounced the pitch, again its Sandy Koufax.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3386)