Apr 2, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Back when New Yankee Stadium was built, the team demanded that the city build parking garages to house 9,000 cars. Never mind that the ballpark is right next to a train station.
But the city agreed, issuing tax-exempt bonds to cover the costs plus subsidizing the garages to the tune of $100 million on top of that. Now those bonds are likely going into default, reports the New York Daily News:
Bronx Parking Development LLC failed to make a $6.9 million payment due April 1 on more than $237 million in tax-exempt bonds arranged by the Bloomberg administration back in 2007.
The group, which is not connected to the Yankees, thus fell into one of the biggest defaults of a New York City-sponsored bond in decades.
Sounds like this will lead to a city bailout or a bankruptcy, leaving the bondholders and/or taxpayers holding the bag.
Just another fabulous example of what happens when the government does favors for sports teams and all common sense is thrown out the window. And when the recipients of those funds try to gouge the hell out of customers, charging them some $35 to park, which rendered the garages half empty most of the time.
How hard is it to tell a billion dollar business like the Yankees to build their own parking garages if they want them so bad?
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)