Apr 2, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
We talked yesterday about Davey Johnson being forced out of Washington, perhaps against his will. Same thing seems to be going on with Charlie Manuel in Philly.
Jim Salisbury from CSNPhilly.com quotes Ruben Amaro as being adamant that no discussions about Charlie Manuel’s status beyond 2013 will be had until after the season. Manuel is said to be on board with that approach as well, but Salisbury also says that Manuel wants to manage beyond this year. Waiting in the wings: Ryne Sandberg, the third base coach who is widely viewed as the heir apparent.
If the Phillies struggle this year it’s likely a non-issue as it will be time for a reassessment of the roster. At that point a new face in the dugout makes sense. But what if the Phillies bounce back? What if they make the playoffs? Does Charlie get a one year deal? More to the point, if it’s obvious that the Phillies are heading back to the playoffs come August, does Amaro change his stance on in-season negotiating?
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)