Apr 2, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
We talked yesterday about Davey Johnson being forced out of Washington, perhaps against his will. Same thing seems to be going on with Charlie Manuel in Philly.
Jim Salisbury from CSNPhilly.com quotes Ruben Amaro as being adamant that no discussions about Charlie Manuel’s status beyond 2013 will be had until after the season. Manuel is said to be on board with that approach as well, but Salisbury also says that Manuel wants to manage beyond this year. Waiting in the wings: Ryne Sandberg, the third base coach who is widely viewed as the heir apparent.
If the Phillies struggle this year it’s likely a non-issue as it will be time for a reassessment of the roster. At that point a new face in the dugout makes sense. But what if the Phillies bounce back? What if they make the playoffs? Does Charlie get a one year deal? More to the point, if it’s obvious that the Phillies are heading back to the playoffs come August, does Amaro change his stance on in-season negotiating?
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 7
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 2
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 7
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 80
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)