Apr 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The United States Mint announces the opening of a national coin design competition that will culminate in the Secretary of the Treasury’s selection of the image for the obverse (heads side) of the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins.
You can begin making submissions on April 11, 2013 and the process will be open until April 26, 2013. Unless they don’t get 10,000 entries, in which case it will stay open until May 11. Rules and info and stuff can be found here.
If they really want this to be historically accurate and reflective of the values of the Hall of Fame, they will take the top 100 most worthy entries, throw them all away claiming that none are quite good enough, and then pat themselves on the back for their exacting standards and dedication to moral purity or whatever the hell it is these people do these days.
And in case you’re curious: my entry is gonna feature Dick Allen, Alan Trammell and Barry Bonds on it, giving the finger, with a Latin inscription which translates to “we don’t need your stinkin’ validation, clueless sportswriters.”
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)