Apr 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The United States Mint announces the opening of a national coin design competition that will culminate in the Secretary of the Treasury’s selection of the image for the obverse (heads side) of the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins.
You can begin making submissions on April 11, 2013 and the process will be open until April 26, 2013. Unless they don’t get 10,000 entries, in which case it will stay open until May 11. Rules and info and stuff can be found here.
If they really want this to be historically accurate and reflective of the values of the Hall of Fame, they will take the top 100 most worthy entries, throw them all away claiming that none are quite good enough, and then pat themselves on the back for their exacting standards and dedication to moral purity or whatever the hell it is these people do these days.
And in case you’re curious: my entry is gonna feature Dick Allen, Alan Trammell and Barry Bonds on it, giving the finger, with a Latin inscription which translates to “we don’t need your stinkin’ validation, clueless sportswriters.”
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 19
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 109
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 163
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (163)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (109)