Apr 2, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
The United States Mint announces the opening of a national coin design competition that will culminate in the Secretary of the Treasury’s selection of the image for the obverse (heads side) of the 2014 National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coins.
You can begin making submissions on April 11, 2013 and the process will be open until April 26, 2013. Unless they don’t get 10,000 entries, in which case it will stay open until May 11. Rules and info and stuff can be found here.
If they really want this to be historically accurate and reflective of the values of the Hall of Fame, they will take the top 100 most worthy entries, throw them all away claiming that none are quite good enough, and then pat themselves on the back for their exacting standards and dedication to moral purity or whatever the hell it is these people do these days.
And in case you’re curious: my entry is gonna feature Dick Allen, Alan Trammell and Barry Bonds on it, giving the finger, with a Latin inscription which translates to “we don’t need your stinkin’ validation, clueless sportswriters.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)