And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Apr 3, 2013, 6:10 AM EDT

Texas Rangers pitcher Darvish reacts after a hit by Houston Astros' Gonzalez goes through his legs in their MLB American League baseball game in Houston Reuters

Rangers 7, Astros 0: Part of me feels like if the Rangers didn’t score all those runs in the eighth and ninth innings that Darvish would have been fresher and finished this thing off. Part of me feels like if he wasn’t facing the Astros that it would have been over in the sixth. But that’s all silliness. Yu was flat dealing and as the man said: one extra flare — just one gorp. A groundball. A groundball with eyes. A dying quail — just one more dying quail a week… and your perfect game is gone. But it was still friggin’ fantastic.

Indians 4, Blue Jays 1: This game, played indoors, was delayed 25 minutes at the outset. I can only presume this had something to do with Geddy Lee throwing out the first pitch. No doubt he threw the pitch, stepped aside for a 17 minute drum solo then, as the time signature changed three times in two minutes, he launched into some lyrics about a future dystopia. Then the game happened and R.A. Dickey‘s knucklers led to J.P. Arencibia to allow about a gajillion passed balls. But relax, Jays fans: it’s only one game. There is not yet any unrest in the forest or trouble with the trees.

Orioles 7, Rays 4: A five-run seventh inning topped off with a three-run homer from Chris Davis kicks the O’s season off in style. This was the O’s first win not led by the bullpen and lady luck since 1970. True story.

Rockies 8, Brewers 4: Bad bullpen work for the second straight day for Milwaukee. It’s like 2012 all over again. Troy Tulowitzki hit a homer and drove in his third and fourth for the year, reminding people that, oh yeah, he’s amazingly good. Ryan Braun hit a homer too. Good thing the Rockies won this one or else Braun’s homer would have led a bunch of self-righteous columnists to call for the game to be vacated.

Cardinals 6, Diamondbacks 1: Homers from Matt Holliday, Pete Kozma and Jon Jay. Including one that is totally gonna get this guy dumped.

Giants 3, Dodgers 0: Koufax on Monday, Marichal on Tuesday. Wait, I mean Kershaw and then Bumgarner (8 IP 2H, 0ER, 0BB, 6K).

Mariners 7, Athletics 1: Michael Morse had two homers and drove in four.  I have this theory that Morse is gonna have a big season for Seattle and, though he came there in a trade, will help convince some free agent hitters that it’s OK to sign with the Mariners because your offense won’t totally shrivel up. Granted this was a road game, but I still like my theory.

1. rockthered1286 - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Oh how I missed ATH…
    A few other notes on the O’s game:
    -Brian Roberts with 2 hits and neither were to his head with his own bat.
    -Nolan Reimold completed the game without getting hurt
    -Weiters went 2 for 3, HR, 2B, 2 BB. Not too shabby for a catcher that’s allegedly all D and just avg at the plate (yes I know it’s only 1 game but let me enjoy it)
    -Price got lucky BIG time. If it wasn’t for Longoria making about 4 absolutely stellar defensive plays at 3rd, the O’s could’ve easily blown this wide open. 8 LOB for Baltimore, and Longoria single handedly kept about 4 of them from scoring.

LEEEGGGGOOOOOO!!

• sophiethegreatdane - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

What’s with the Legos thing?

• rockthered1286 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

It’s an Adam Jones thing. Check out his Twitter sometime. I was going to run with his new “To Be Continued” (he bought the team shirts with this phrase on it for spring training), but it doesn’t make much sense unless you knew about it. I also debated the other fun phrases used here in Baltimore:
        -BUCKleUP
        -Bird is the Word
        -“O”ptimism

But I just can’t seem to shake the LEEEGGGOOOOOO!!!

• indaburg - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Price didn’t have his good stuff working yesterday and McGee uncharacteristically blew a lead, leaving his pitches right over the plate. The Orioles looked good, but like you said, it’s just one game.

• rockthered1286 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I can agree with that. Price had only given up something like 1 run in his last 32 IP against Baltimore (don’t hold me to that), so it was very uncharacteristic for him to give up 7H through 6IP and a pitch count at 101 that early. He did have a few flashes with a few back to back K’s, but never seemed to get in the zone. And McGee had 4 consecutive hitters (less the intentional walk) in an 0-2 count before leaving a pitch hanging. Although I still disagree with Madden’s decision to walk Wieters- he was already 2 for 2 with a walk, BUT it’s the first game of the season and he’s coming off of an average 2012 at the plate. You don’t see that much.

• indaburg - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I get why Maddon did it. Wieters kills the Rays, especially our lefties. He has like a .480 career wOBA against them. Still, I hate intentional walks.

The Orioles took advantage of the opportunities presented and looked good doing it. I think the O’s are not getting enough respect. It should be a fun year.

• psuorioles - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Don’t get too excited… the pundits will continue to tell us O’s fans it was lucky and they will come in last.

2. randygnyc - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Turned on the ranger game in the 5th after I saw Darvish was pitching a perfect game on MLB network. So, I watched in on MLB TV until he end. Great effort, but he had really pulled a Houdini just by getting out of the 8th unscathed. He left a bunch of pitches up in the zone, including 3 hanging breaking balls that deserved to be hit hard and far. His warm up for the 9th was interesting, as he lobbed all his pitches to the catcher. He was clearly tired and preserving energy. And I also think he was getting a blister on his ring finger of his pitching hand. I was pretty sure he’d get the perfecto after getting the first two outs in the 9th. But alas, it’s true what they say about the one that got away. Through the wickets, I might add. It’ll be a single that’ll haunt darvish for life. The astro team, on the other hand, is truly pathetic.

• indaburg - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Re: ring finger. I also noticed after Darvish was pulled from the game that he was staring at his finger. I hope it’s not anything serious.

3. proudlycanadian - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Craig forgot to mention that Geddy Lee threw a perfect strike to Brandon Morrow. Indians short stop Asdrubal Cabrera made a great play in the third inning. With the bases loaded and none out, he dove for a sharply hit drive by Adam Lind. While on the ground, he threw the ball backhanded to Kipness to start a double play. That was the key play in the game.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:43 AM

I forgot to mention that Geddy Lee had Brandon Morrow sign the ball for him.

• nbjays - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Agree, PC. Justin Masterson was all over the place before that play, and it seemed to settle him down… sadly.

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Top of the order swinging first pitch at anything didn’t help, either. Neither did Bonifacio’s terrifying neckbeard.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Geddy is not the drummer, snarky-man.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I missed the part where he said Geddy Lee was the drummer, I guess.

• sophiethegreatdane - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I guess you’re right. It reads like he could have meant that Geddy stepped aside to play a drum solo. I see what you’re saying though.

• snowbirdgothic - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM

BUT HE COULD BE! HE COULD BE ANYTHING! GEDDY CHOOSES FREE WILL!

*ahem*

• Old Gator - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

They should have had Margo.

• APBA Guy - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

You and Margo, sigh, it was never meant to be.

5. historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM

What? Holliday AND Kozma? Yup, yup!

I am happy for the Return of Tulo, may it last forever.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Kozma strikes me as very “Inge-y” – what is he going to have to do to incur your wrath? Become overpaid?

• historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Cannot be done. He is a homie. <3

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Ahhh – Tulsa guy – at least it makes some sense. Not much, but some.

• historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Pbblt!

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Peanut butter, bacon, lettuce and tomato – how did you know that was my favorite?

• historiophiliac - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

That sounds disgusting. Bacon. /shudder

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The only thing that’s better is a nice mutton lettuce and tomato, when the mutton is nice and lean.

• cardsfanandi - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Oh no. I might have to jump on your Kozma bandwagon if he keeps this up.

6. philliesblow - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Craig, thanks for sticking with the early posting time for ATH. Your dedication is appreciated.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I’m trying, and most days still hope to do it early. I may have days when it goes up a bit later though. Trying to restore some life balance in that regard.

• lewp - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Craig, I still suggest a night editor Craig…just to help you out.

Tough luck for darvish, hope he has a great season.

7. nbjays - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

While it might be bad luck to talk about it when you are pitching a perfecto or a no-no, it is worse luck to turn into Bill Buckner at the last moment.

Hopefully we’ve seen JP catch (or attempt to catch) Dickey for the last time.

8. stex52 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Props to Darvish. A fantastic game. I’m glad the perfecto got broken up, but he was awesome.

Lost in all the garbage of the Houston effort is one small point. Harrell put up a quality start. ( 1 ER, 4K in 6 innings)You can’t tell from the score because the relievers were so terrible. But any hope of a decent season for the Astros resides in the starting pitchers working well.

9. schro424 - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM

“Bad bullpen work for the second straight day for Milwaukee. It’s like 2012 all over again.” That’s really not the case, considering on Monday the Brewers bullpen gave up 1 run in 5 innings. The Brewers were down all game due to Yovani struggling through 5 innings, and then the bullpen came in and did a great job keeping them in the game and ultimately delivering the victory. Yes Axford gave up the tying solo shot in the 9th, but that doesn’t discount the 4 scoreless innings provided by Figaro, Badenhop, and Henderson. It was a disappointing performance yesterday, but I hardly think you can consider Monday’s performance bad.

10. unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

All of me feels like the Astros are going to achieve several no-hitters this season. For other teams.

11. m3dman3 - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Neil Peart.

12. APBA Guy - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Lost in the Darvish-love was Iwakuma’s two-hit effort against the A’s. The homer by Cespedes was on a much better pitch than the 3 hangers that Carter missed off Darvish in the 8th, as Randy G mentioned above.

Parker looked sloppy, leaving a lot of stuff up, and the new-look Mariners are benefiting mightily from professional hitters in the 3-4-5 slots. It’s one thing to get nearly no-hit by the King, but the same thing coming from Iwakuma was not good. The A’s bullpen wasn’t much either, giving up 3 runs in 4 IP. Altogether the A’s surrendered 8 walks. Also not good.

The crowd was down to 16,000 last night after the opening day full house. They did not appear to be entertained.

13. ncm42 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

LOL, finally, after 42 years, my O’s earned the win instead of relying on blind luck!

14. sisqsage - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Mad Bum was awesome. Only 23 years old and he has already won two WS games as a starting pitcher and has two rings. That kind of big game experience is just going to payoff for years down the road.

Orioles turn AL East on its head