Apr 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Perkins talked about how he started getting into sabermetrics when he was hurt in 2010 and has embraced statistical analysis ever since:
I didn’t get into any advanced stats until 2010 when I was in Triple-A and struggling. It was a combination of [Ryan] Vogelsong and when Brandon McCarthy came back and I started to hear about those guys who were injured or unsuccessful and then they adjusted their pitch selections and focused doing different things. That got me thinking, maybe it’s something I should do.
Since then Perkins has 132 innings with a 2.52 ERA and recently signed a $12 million contract.
There’s also some interesting stuff from Perkins about the unreliability of Pitchf/x classifying his pitches and whether or not he believes the numbers when they show he’s getting squeezed by umpires. Definitely worth checking out the whole article. Good stuff.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)