Apr 3, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Perkins talked about how he started getting into sabermetrics when he was hurt in 2010 and has embraced statistical analysis ever since:
I didn’t get into any advanced stats until 2010 when I was in Triple-A and struggling. It was a combination of [Ryan] Vogelsong and when Brandon McCarthy came back and I started to hear about those guys who were injured or unsuccessful and then they adjusted their pitch selections and focused doing different things. That got me thinking, maybe it’s something I should do.
Since then Perkins has 132 innings with a 2.52 ERA and recently signed a $12 million contract.
There’s also some interesting stuff from Perkins about the unreliability of Pitchf/x classifying his pitches and whether or not he believes the numbers when they show he’s getting squeezed by umpires. Definitely worth checking out the whole article. Good stuff.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)