Apr 3, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
Hiroki Kuroda had a less-than-ideal 2013 debut.
The right-hander surrendered a Red Sox run in the top of the first inning then took a Shane Victorino line drive off his right fingertips to lead off the second. Kuroda hit the next batter, Jackie Bradley Jr. and walked Jacoby Ellsbury on four pitches. He then plunked Daniel Nava with the bases loaded.
Kuroda was pulled after facing 11 Boston hitters and allowing two runs on a walk and four hits. It was by far the shortest start of his major league career.
The Victorino line drive probably caused some numbness in his right fingers, but Kuroda’s struggles began in the first. The Yankees desperately need the 38-year-old from Osaka, Japan to eat innings this season and he was unable to do that on Wednesday night against the rival Red Sox. Boston won the game 7-4.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM ET: MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports that Kuroda has been diagnosed with a bruised right middle finger. He will undergo precautionary X-rays at Yankee Stadium.
UPDATE, 10:51 PM ET: The X-rays were negative, according to Hoch. Kuroda is day-to-day.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)