Apr 3, 2013, 8:25 PM EST
Hiroki Kuroda had a less-than-ideal 2013 debut.
The right-hander surrendered a Red Sox run in the top of the first inning then took a Shane Victorino line drive off his right fingertips to lead off the second. Kuroda hit the next batter, Jackie Bradley Jr. and walked Jacoby Ellsbury on four pitches. He then plunked Daniel Nava with the bases loaded.
Kuroda was pulled after facing 11 Boston hitters and allowing two runs on a walk and four hits. It was by far the shortest start of his major league career.
The Victorino line drive probably caused some numbness in his right fingers, but Kuroda’s struggles began in the first. The Yankees desperately need the 38-year-old from Osaka, Japan to eat innings this season and he was unable to do that on Wednesday night against the rival Red Sox. Boston won the game 7-4.
UPDATE, 8:47 PM ET: MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports that Kuroda has been diagnosed with a bruised right middle finger. He will undergo precautionary X-rays at Yankee Stadium.
UPDATE, 10:51 PM ET: The X-rays were negative, according to Hoch. Kuroda is day-to-day.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)