Apr 3, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With Hanley Ramirez out, Don Mattingly made the surprise decision to go with Justin Sellers at shortstop, primarily because of his glove. Then last night he made two throwing errors in the seventh inning. The first was just a bobble and misplay. The second, however, was borne of bad decision making, choosing to throw home rather than get the sure out at first with a pitcher at the plate. The bad throw to the plate allowed two runs to score in a close ballgame.
After the game Don Mattingly said that it was still Sellers’ job. And, to be fair, no one should lose their job after one bad day. That said, Sellers won that job pretty darn quick too, which makes one feel like the team is keeping its options open at short.
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 7
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 87
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 63
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 76
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)