Apr 3, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
With Hanley Ramirez out, Don Mattingly made the surprise decision to go with Justin Sellers at shortstop, primarily because of his glove. Then last night he made two throwing errors in the seventh inning. The first was just a bobble and misplay. The second, however, was borne of bad decision making, choosing to throw home rather than get the sure out at first with a pitcher at the plate. The bad throw to the plate allowed two runs to score in a close ballgame.
After the game Don Mattingly said that it was still Sellers’ job. And, to be fair, no one should lose their job after one bad day. That said, Sellers won that job pretty darn quick too, which makes one feel like the team is keeping its options open at short.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)