Apr 3, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With Hanley Ramirez out, Don Mattingly made the surprise decision to go with Justin Sellers at shortstop, primarily because of his glove. Then last night he made two throwing errors in the seventh inning. The first was just a bobble and misplay. The second, however, was borne of bad decision making, choosing to throw home rather than get the sure out at first with a pitcher at the plate. The bad throw to the plate allowed two runs to score in a close ballgame.
After the game Don Mattingly said that it was still Sellers’ job. And, to be fair, no one should lose their job after one bad day. That said, Sellers won that job pretty darn quick too, which makes one feel like the team is keeping its options open at short.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)