Apr 3, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
With Hanley Ramirez out, Don Mattingly made the surprise decision to go with Justin Sellers at shortstop, primarily because of his glove. Then last night he made two throwing errors in the seventh inning. The first was just a bobble and misplay. The second, however, was borne of bad decision making, choosing to throw home rather than get the sure out at first with a pitcher at the plate. The bad throw to the plate allowed two runs to score in a close ballgame.
After the game Don Mattingly said that it was still Sellers’ job. And, to be fair, no one should lose their job after one bad day. That said, Sellers won that job pretty darn quick too, which makes one feel like the team is keeping its options open at short.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)