Apr 3, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
Besides Giancarlo Stanton and maybe right-hander Jose Fernandez, the Marlins’ shining light this year was going to be their remarkable Double-A outfield; Christian Yelich is one of baseball’s very best prospects and both Jake Marisnick, who was acquired from the Blue Jays in the Jose Reyes trade, and Marcell Ozuna rate comfortably within the top 100.
However, the Sun Sentinel’s Juan C. Rodriguez reports that each member of that trio is set to start the season on the DL. Yelich has plantar faciitis, while both Marisnick and Ozuna are sidelined with fractured hands.
Yelich is expected back the soonest. The 21-year-old caught the eyes of everyone while hitting .364/.451/.818 with five homers, 14 RBI and a 7/6 K/BB ratio in 44 at-bats this spring. Assuming a quick recovery, he has a very good chance of taking over as the Marlins’ center fielder in May or June.
Marisnick and Ozuna are further away both in their recoveries and from reaching the the majors, though Ozuna might get a look in the second half. The Marlins’ plan was for Yelich and Marisnick to split time between center and left for Jacksonville, with Ozuna starting in right.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)