Apr 3, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Mets didn’t want to put extra pressure on Matt Harvey by making him their Opening Day starter this year, but let’s face facts: he’s the club’s best hope for having an ace this year. He showed why on Wednesday night when he limited the Padres to one hit and struck out 10 over seven scoreless innings.
Harvey cruised tonight, throwing 94 pitches in his seven innings. He ended up picking off Everth Cabrera, the only Padre to single off him. He did walk a pair, but thanks to a double play ball, he faced just one batter over the minimum.
The 10-strikeout game was Harvey’s third in 11 major league starts. The only other Mets to have that many so soon were Nolan Ryan (four) and Dwight Gooden (three). Which makes for pretty good company.
Having turned 24 last month, Harvey is older than the typical pitching phenom. Still, that might work in his favor this year, since he shouldn’t have to deal with the typical 160- or 180-innings limit. The Mets won’t want to extend him too far unless they somehow find themselves in contention in September, but he should pitch enough innings to finish in the top 10 in the NL in strikeouts.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)