Apr 3, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
The Mets didn’t want to put extra pressure on Matt Harvey by making him their Opening Day starter this year, but let’s face facts: he’s the club’s best hope for having an ace this year. He showed why on Wednesday night when he limited the Padres to one hit and struck out 10 over seven scoreless innings.
Harvey cruised tonight, throwing 94 pitches in his seven innings. He ended up picking off Everth Cabrera, the only Padre to single off him. He did walk a pair, but thanks to a double play ball, he faced just one batter over the minimum.
The 10-strikeout game was Harvey’s third in 11 major league starts. The only other Mets to have that many so soon were Nolan Ryan (four) and Dwight Gooden (three). Which makes for pretty good company.
Having turned 24 last month, Harvey is older than the typical pitching phenom. Still, that might work in his favor this year, since he shouldn’t have to deal with the typical 160- or 180-innings limit. The Mets won’t want to extend him too far unless they somehow find themselves in contention in September, but he should pitch enough innings to finish in the top 10 in the NL in strikeouts.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 58
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 38
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)