Apr 3, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Great stuff from The Atlantic: a link to a portion of a baseball broadcast from a 1939 Senators-Indians game. The actual audio can be found here, but the Atlantic story has a detailed description. The key takeaway: nostalgia is for suckers:
Heard today, the voices in this broadcast originate on the other side of an unbridgeable distance of time and culture. But they speak a language that present-day baseball fans can nevertheless recognize. I’ve encountered no other cultural artifact that makes the game’s history seem more jarringly immediate or real. And I’ve found few others that so clearly rebut the nostalgia and idealization that dominates American society’s engagement with the game’s past.
Walter Johnson is one of the broadcasters, and he’s apparently not too good at his job. But it’s Walter Freakin’ Johnson, so yeah.
The game features the one and only major league appearance for 33-year-old rookie Dick Bass. It also features a 22 year-old Lou Boudreau. Because the broadcast doesn’t have the benefit of hindsight, we get to hear the broadcasters talk about Bass as if he has at least some future ahead of him when this was his one and only moment in the sun. And where a Hall of Famer like Boudreau is not talked about in reverent tones.
So rare a glimpse at history while it’s happening, blissfully unaware that it is, in fact, history.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)