Scott Boras was blindsided by Robinson Cano going with Jay-Z

Apr 3, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

Boras sulking AP

Man, you really gotta feel for the guy.

Wait, no you don’t. Ken Rosenthal reports:

Boras said he was blindsided by Cano’s decision.

“We never heard from him regarding anything but his approval of the process that we discussed way back in October,” Boras said. “We had three communications with him after he signed the representation agreement. We never heard anything from him to suggest that anything was other than he desired.”

I know. It can be tough. Just ask all those agents who represent dudes from age 18, helping them pay for gloves and shoes, helping make sure their cell phone bill is paid so they can call their moms, then watching — right before the big payday comes – them sign with Scott Boras or someone like him.

It’s a tough business, Scott. You know that better than anyone.

1. manute - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Three “communications” in six months? No wonder he left.

As Jay-Z might ask, “Where’s the love?”

• kopy - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM

There ain’t no love in the heart of the city.

• bronxbomber213 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ain’t no love in the heart….of the Yankees lineup in 2013….

2. heyblueyoustink - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

“You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but… there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list”

• dondada10 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Spaniard….

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

“The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end.”

• badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Boras canned ? best news this week. Cano can now party with Beyonce. Shit I’ll sgin with Jay-Z for the league minimum to hang with her…….team equipment towel washer minimum

3. nategearhart - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I’m sure he’s not happy about it, but I don’t get the impression in the article that Boras is crying foul or unduly whining or anything. Seems pretty matter-of-fact to me.

4. chill1184 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

….and the worlds smallest violin plays for Boras

5. uyf1950 - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I guess Boras doesn’t like it now that the “shoe is on the other foot” so to speak.

6. digbysellers - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I feel so bad for Scott Boras and will be unable to go to work today due to my grief.

7. dowhatifeellike - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I feel bad for Cano. Boras makes dudes rich. I bet Jay-Z paid Cano to make the switch just to get his little experiment started.

8. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

He forgot the lessons of Jerry Maguire

9. modellforprez - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

F*ck Jayz. is he dame diddy dame daddy or dame dummy oh i get it you biggie and hes puffy “foul” Roc a feller died of aids that was the end of his chapter and thats the guy you chose to name your company after. put it together i roc hoes yall rock fellas

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Me fail English, that’s unpossible!

• Alex K - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Thumbs up for the excellent song (Nas’ “Ether” for those who don’t know.

Thumbs down because what the hell does it have to do with Robinson Cano choosing Jay-Z as his agent?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:17 PM

So yeah I sampled your voice, you was usin it wrong
        You made it a hot line, I made it a hot song
        And you ain’t get a coin n**** you was gettin fucked and
        I know who I paid God, Serchlite Publishing
        Use your – BRAAAAAAAIN! You said you been in this ten
        I’ve been in it five – smarten up Nas
        Four albums in ten years n****? I can divide
        That’s one every let’s say two, two of them shits was doo
        One was – NAHHH, the other was “Illmatic”
        That’s a one hot album every ten year average
        And that’s so – LAAAAAAAME!

Nas hasn’t put out a good album in years

• nolanwiffle - Apr 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Rap is dead…..thankfully.

• Alex K - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Rap is dead? I disagree. ive Kendrick Lamar a shot and you will see that rap music is doing just fine.

• Alex K - Apr 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

*Give*

• El Bravo - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Alex I’ll surely be seeing you Saturday at Lolla near front row watching Kendrick Lamar. Just make sure you wear “Alex K” on your forehead so I can spot you. If you haven’t seen him live, you better! He’s pretty fantastic live.

• Alex K - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM

No Lolla for me. I would love to see Mr. Lamar do his thing live, however. I hope to hear a full report.

10. unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hate to break the fourth wall, but this is straight out the Ricky Williams playbook. Now there will be No Limits to his contractual peformance bonus structure. Jay-Z will now be the Master P to Robbie’s Ricky.

11. gbar22 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yeah no fan is going to feel any sympathy for him after all the damage he has done from a fans perspective. For the players he gets them their cash and that’s wonderful but for the fans he’s the agent of doom.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

What damage has he done to the game from the fans perspective? Getting players money that would otherwise go into the owner’s pockets? How is this a bad thing?

• blabidibla - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Ha! That’s funny. Because the owners would never think of recouping that money via ticket/merch/concessions prices?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM

How many times do we have to go over this? The cost of tickets/merchandising/concessions is based on supply and demand. If demand outweighs supply, you should continue to increase the price of your item until sales plateau.

Just because owners can parrot the line that increased expenses lead to higher ticket prices and people buy it hook, line, and sinker, doesn’t make it actually true.

• bougin89 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Sorry Church…I didn’t see your comment below and then I replied also. Didn’t mean to steal your supply and demand comment.

• bougin89 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Welp. This can’t be overstated enough. The owners agree to pay the contracts that Boras negotiates. Scott Boras is just really good at leveraging/negotiating his clients value. It’s simple supply and demand really, not hard to figure out.

12. soxfan34110 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Poor Scott. Maybe we should set-up a website for donations??

• pellypell - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

You can submit donations to Scott’s website:

13. unlost1 - Apr 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM

maybe Cano knows teams don’t want to deal with a price gouger

14. dcrudy - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Hyman Roth : “…when I heard it, I wasn’t angry … I let it go … I said to my self, ‘this is the business we’ve chosen … “

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I didn’t care for that stand – I wish Mr. Roth had taken this one more personally.

15. dirtydrew - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Now he knows what a good screwing feels like.he has been bending MLB GM’s over for years.

16. tfbuckfutter - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM

The 2013 Yankees may have 99 problems….

But this bitch ain’t one.

17. ermur22 - Apr 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Jay Z is not a fool….he is going to use his name to lure in young athletes same as him owning some of the Nets. Young NBA players think its cool to play for Jay Z’s basketball team. He will draw free agents and now he is gonna draw in sports superstars. These kids are human just like us and some worship Jay. If I was Scott Boras I would be shitting a brick

• pellypell - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Lebron actually met up with Cano down in MIA during the WBC. My guess is he sold Robbie on working with Hova.

“I’m not a businessman, I’m a business, MAN.”

18. kgsmith - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Great, now we have people who speak broken english as they rhyme to beats created from a computer representing our athletes.. whats next? you be gotz to be kidding aight? .. Now I can be an agent!

19. ironman721 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM