Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Andy Martino of the Daily News spoke with Shane Victorino about his free agent odyssey and got him to admit something you rarely hear ballplayers admit: impending free agency got in his head last season.
He was miffed that negotiations for an extension with the Phillies went nowhere and then, once he knew he’d have to wait until the offseason to cash in, pressed too hard to earn the check. It’s the sort of thing that logic suggests could happen to anyone but rarely do any players admit it.
Given that he got a four-year offer from the Indians and signed a pretty lucrative three-year deal with the Red Sox, one wonders what could’ve happened if he hadn’t been all up in his head last season and actually played well.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (239)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)