Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the Daily News spoke with Shane Victorino about his free agent odyssey and got him to admit something you rarely hear ballplayers admit: impending free agency got in his head last season.
He was miffed that negotiations for an extension with the Phillies went nowhere and then, once he knew he’d have to wait until the offseason to cash in, pressed too hard to earn the check. It’s the sort of thing that logic suggests could happen to anyone but rarely do any players admit it.
Given that he got a four-year offer from the Indians and signed a pretty lucrative three-year deal with the Red Sox, one wonders what could’ve happened if he hadn’t been all up in his head last season and actually played well.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)