Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the Daily News spoke with Shane Victorino about his free agent odyssey and got him to admit something you rarely hear ballplayers admit: impending free agency got in his head last season.
He was miffed that negotiations for an extension with the Phillies went nowhere and then, once he knew he’d have to wait until the offseason to cash in, pressed too hard to earn the check. It’s the sort of thing that logic suggests could happen to anyone but rarely do any players admit it.
Given that he got a four-year offer from the Indians and signed a pretty lucrative three-year deal with the Red Sox, one wonders what could’ve happened if he hadn’t been all up in his head last season and actually played well.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)