Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the Daily News spoke with Shane Victorino about his free agent odyssey and got him to admit something you rarely hear ballplayers admit: impending free agency got in his head last season.
He was miffed that negotiations for an extension with the Phillies went nowhere and then, once he knew he’d have to wait until the offseason to cash in, pressed too hard to earn the check. It’s the sort of thing that logic suggests could happen to anyone but rarely do any players admit it.
Given that he got a four-year offer from the Indians and signed a pretty lucrative three-year deal with the Red Sox, one wonders what could’ve happened if he hadn’t been all up in his head last season and actually played well.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 5
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)