Apr 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the Daily News spoke with Shane Victorino about his free agent odyssey and got him to admit something you rarely hear ballplayers admit: impending free agency got in his head last season.
He was miffed that negotiations for an extension with the Phillies went nowhere and then, once he knew he’d have to wait until the offseason to cash in, pressed too hard to earn the check. It’s the sort of thing that logic suggests could happen to anyone but rarely do any players admit it.
Given that he got a four-year offer from the Indians and signed a pretty lucrative three-year deal with the Red Sox, one wonders what could’ve happened if he hadn’t been all up in his head last season and actually played well.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)