Apr 3, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
From Tim Britton of the Providence Journal:
After playing two games at extended spring training, shortstop Stephen Drew will begin his rehab assignment on Thursday with Double-A Portland. It’s the Sea Dogs’ opener against the Trenton Thunder.
The plan right now calls for Drew to play four games with Double-A Portland and then join the Red Sox for their home opener on Monday, April 8 against the Orioles. That assumes, of course, that he can avoid setbacks.
Drew suffered a concussion in early March when he was beaned in the batting helmet during a Grapefruit League game. He was finally cleared for game action on Tuesday afternoon.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop for the Red Sox.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)