Apr 3, 2013, 11:30 PM EDT
From Tim Britton of the Providence Journal:
After playing two games at extended spring training, shortstop Stephen Drew will begin his rehab assignment on Thursday with Double-A Portland. It’s the Sea Dogs’ opener against the Trenton Thunder.
The plan right now calls for Drew to play four games with Double-A Portland and then join the Red Sox for their home opener on Monday, April 8 against the Orioles. That assumes, of course, that he can avoid setbacks.
Drew suffered a concussion in early March when he was beaned in the batting helmet during a Grapefruit League game. He was finally cleared for game action on Tuesday afternoon.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop for the Red Sox.
- Not so fast! Dodgers-Marlins trade for Mat Latos “could be falling apart” 52
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 48
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 42
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)