Apr 3, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
From Tim Britton of the Providence Journal:
After playing two games at extended spring training, shortstop Stephen Drew will begin his rehab assignment on Thursday with Double-A Portland. It’s the Sea Dogs’ opener against the Trenton Thunder.
The plan right now calls for Drew to play four games with Double-A Portland and then join the Red Sox for their home opener on Monday, April 8 against the Orioles. That assumes, of course, that he can avoid setbacks.
Drew suffered a concussion in early March when he was beaned in the batting helmet during a Grapefruit League game. He was finally cleared for game action on Tuesday afternoon.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop for the Red Sox.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)