Apr 3, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
From Tim Britton of the Providence Journal:
After playing two games at extended spring training, shortstop Stephen Drew will begin his rehab assignment on Thursday with Double-A Portland. It’s the Sea Dogs’ opener against the Trenton Thunder.
The plan right now calls for Drew to play four games with Double-A Portland and then join the Red Sox for their home opener on Monday, April 8 against the Orioles. That assumes, of course, that he can avoid setbacks.
Drew suffered a concussion in early March when he was beaned in the batting helmet during a Grapefruit League game. He was finally cleared for game action on Tuesday afternoon.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop for the Red Sox.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)