Apr 3, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
Albuquerque’s elevation is actually 32 feet higher than Denver. So, yes, the ball flies there. Just ask any PCL pitcher and they’ll tell you. So a lot of those PCL pitchers gotta be happy with this development: the Dodgers have put in a humidor to moisten/deaden baseballs at Isotopes Park. From the Santa Fe New Mexican:
With the 2013 Pacific Coast League season set to launch Thursday when the Isotopes play host to the Iowa Cubs, it was an offseason decision by the parent Los Angeles Dodgers that will undoubtedly have the biggest impact on the season.
The humidor is intended to mute the effect dry air has on a baseball, which makes the ball feel harder and bounces off a bat with greater power.
That, in turn, leads to skewed numbers for hitters and pitchers alike.
I know geography and gate matter, so if you’re a west coast team it makes sense to have your farm teams out west too, and in places where fans will actually show up. But boy howdy it has to be hard to evaluate players in places like Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City and the like.
Adding this to the Coors Field humidor is a good step. But it’d be nice if all of the teams, majors and minors, who play at elevation would do this so we could at least attempt to get some sort of standardization of this stuff.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)