Apr 3, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
Albuquerque’s elevation is actually 32 feet higher than Denver. So, yes, the ball flies there. Just ask any PCL pitcher and they’ll tell you. So a lot of those PCL pitchers gotta be happy with this development: the Dodgers have put in a humidor to moisten/deaden baseballs at Isotopes Park. From the Santa Fe New Mexican:
With the 2013 Pacific Coast League season set to launch Thursday when the Isotopes play host to the Iowa Cubs, it was an offseason decision by the parent Los Angeles Dodgers that will undoubtedly have the biggest impact on the season.
The humidor is intended to mute the effect dry air has on a baseball, which makes the ball feel harder and bounces off a bat with greater power.
That, in turn, leads to skewed numbers for hitters and pitchers alike.
I know geography and gate matter, so if you’re a west coast team it makes sense to have your farm teams out west too, and in places where fans will actually show up. But boy howdy it has to be hard to evaluate players in places like Albuquerque, Colorado Springs, Salt Lake City and the like.
Adding this to the Coors Field humidor is a good step. But it’d be nice if all of the teams, majors and minors, who play at elevation would do this so we could at least attempt to get some sort of standardization of this stuff.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)