Apr 3, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
After designating Clay Rapada for assignment last week the Yankees have released the left-handed reliever.
Rapada is currently sidelined by a shoulder injury, but the Yankees needed the 40-man roster space more than they wanted to keep him around on the disabled list.
Rapada was pretty effective for the Yankees last season, posting a 2.82 ERA while holding left-handed hitters to a .186 batting average, but he logged a total of 38 innings in 70 appearances and is limited to being a southpaw specialist.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)