Apr 3, 2013, 4:06 PM EDT
After designating Clay Rapada for assignment last week the Yankees have released the left-handed reliever.
Rapada is currently sidelined by a shoulder injury, but the Yankees needed the 40-man roster space more than they wanted to keep him around on the disabled list.
Rapada was pretty effective for the Yankees last season, posting a 2.82 ERA while holding left-handed hitters to a .186 batting average, but he logged a total of 38 innings in 70 appearances and is limited to being a southpaw specialist.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 85
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 68
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)